Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT 4X4 to upgrade to!!!!!!!

WHAT 4X4 to upgrade to!!!!!!!

Right people just want to know your view on some of the new 4x4 out ther what do you own and what problems ect I have a fourtrak and it's time for a new 4x4 at some point as I can put it though work.. (Yes I know I would most prob be better off keeping the fourtrak)

Been abusing a '58 plate hilux since new, 95% off road use, rear brakes take a hammering, but they are getting filled with gritty water 10-12 times a day up to headlight depth. Prop uj is the only issue really other than normal servicing, now at 78k miles.

If it was my money, I'd spend it on a hilux.

Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

2.5 or 3.0l ?????

I guess we'll need to know what uses you'll put it to.

Will it do a lot of road use, lots of off road use, over hill and dale or just the odd field? What else will it do? Double as a family car? Is a pickup in the frame? Do you want it to do posh as well? Will it tow? Does it have to have masses of luggage space? Do you need 7 seats? Is MPG important? There's everything from a Fiat Panda 4X4 to a full fat Range Rover and everything in between that COULD fit your remit.

It will be used for everything from towing vehicles/trailers off roading for the shoot abused for logging and lots of hours in bad terrain. Defo not a rangerover utter poo unless I can employ an ex landy technician.. Would rather keep my fourtrak
    (Had a 90 TD5 200bhp I wish I never sold)
    Last edited by jonny.c; 30-12-2014 at 01:40.

Hmm. Looking at your previous history you like the Fourtrak/Discovery sort of vehicle. Not sure I'd recommend a new Discovery. They are very much improved in the reliability department (eventually), but cost an absolute fortune these days. Certainly a better bet than a Range Rover (unless your kids go to school in Chelsea). Maybe a Nissan Pathfinder?

If you decide on a pickup, from all accounts these days you can't get better than a Hilux or an Isuzu. You could always go back to what you liked and get a Defender before they stop making them. Might even appreciate rather than depreciate!

Some left field suggestions: VW Amorok, BMW X5, or how about getting a nice sports saloon, a Beemer or a Merc and keep the Fourtrak?

Go isuzu for what describe great workhorses
    I've an old trooper for the donkey work
    and a freelander for posh lol
    regards Pete

Kingdom of the East Saxons
    Keep the Fourtrak and buy one of these Redirect Notice

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.c View Post
    (Had a 90 TD5 200bhp I wish I never sold)
    I think you have answered your own question!