Starlight Arrow night vision - problems

starsky

Just wondered if anyone has a starlight arrow night vision and any tips you could give me. Ive bought one recently for use on air rifle and hornet. I can get it to work upto 100 yards fine but over that it is to blurred to be able to shoot accurately. Online ive found people claiming can get it up to 300 yards and wondered if anyone on here uses a starlight and advice on what I could be doing wrong.

Thanks

Sounds like you may not have a parallax adjustable scope? As you focus the archer on the reticle, you need to 'focus' the scope on the target - using the parallax adjustment.

What ETR said.
ive put a 3.2 telephoto lens on the front of mine to use as a spotter with a quantum firefly if and can see clearly a looooong way.
Even better on the scope, clear as day.

having owned a arrow i would be supprised if anyone is going to get any where near 300yrds with it although i would have quite happily thrown it 300 yrds

I have had a few and found the performance okay. The main issue is the reliability with them breaking and being sent back. Got my money back and bought a archer- it's in a different league.

What scope you running it on. Some scopes have to much IR filtering and cut a lot of the IR that can get back to the camera.

What's the illumination. Some of the lasers are giving bad grainyness. OK at short range but not so clean as an Len IR.
Try a t20 or nm800 and see if it helps.

I see your close, your more than welcome to come over and have a play on differant scopes and IR

Atb
Phil

Thanks Phil, I can get it clear at 100yds but anything more and does become grainy like you said. I'm using it on a nikko sterling nighteater at the moment. I don't need it upto 300yds but I wanted to be able to use it upto 200yds on foxes. Do you think that's gonna be possible or do I need to get better ir?
Cheers si

Try with led IR rather than the laser.

I do have a friend who loves his arrow so I'll have a chat with him and see how he fairs with the laser he uses. I think firefly rings a bell.

Thanks Phil, I can get it clear at 100yds but anything more and does become grainy like you said. I'm using it on a nikko sterling nighteater at the moment. I don't need it upto 300yds but I wanted to be able to use it upto 200yds on foxes. Do you think that's gonna be possible or do I need to get better ir?
Cheers si

Niteaters are my favorite scope for n.v, no problems there

Is this the standard spec arrow? If so the camera in it is not very sensitive. starlight have brought out an even more powerful firefly for use with there arrow unit...bit of a backwards step, but there you go

.......adam

Last edited:
Tried the arrow out again but without attaching to the scope and could see clearly at 200yds I'm assuming its as you said Phil that my scope has too much ir filtering.

I have had an Archer for 5 years or so now. I first had it set up on a Nightforce scope and vision wasn't that flash. I was told by someone whose opinion i have a lot of respect for that it's to do with optic coatings and was advised to buy a S&B scope for it which I did. Night and day difference, worked much better. Both have parallax adjustment on them.

Also find that you have to keep the lens in the laser very clean. When it's clean I can ID a fox at 250 very clearly. When it's just got a little dust on it I get lots of concentric circles which "blur" the vision and significantly cut down the useful range.

The lasers also burn batteries quickly, much faster than the Archer unit itself. A new battery makes a huge difference.

Hope one of those tips may help a bit.

Nigel

Tried the arrow out again but without attaching to the scope and could see clearly at 200yds I'm assuming its as you said Phil that my scope has too much ir filtering.

Nope, niteaters are among the better scopes for use with an addon. The reason you see better with it off the scope is because its not having to veiw the I.r through the multiple lenses of your dayscope

Your solution is more I.r or a better camera

Thanks for all your replies. I went out and used my mates nightmaster 800 ir and could view upto 300 yards easily so gonna need to invest in a better ir unfortunately.

I have had the Archer for 4/5 years now and i find that the best scope i use is the Bushnell 6500 elite with side parra no probs at all.

The archer is tube and doesn't need the IR like camera driven night vision. Problem with high end scopes is the lenses have IR coating on them to stop it getting back to the eye. The cheaper scopes have less or none so more IR is allowed in to the scope which the camera depends upon.

Good work on the nm800, lot of money though for it.

I use a T20 torch with a second lens added, all in all around £60 for a complete kit half that if you can make it yourself.
There is a T67 going around at the moment. The lens works well but the torch body is way to heavy and bulky. Only ones that will tell you differant it either the ones selling them or the suckers that bought them to go on the rifle. There is better around. Fine as a spotter with red led but not on a scope. There are better and smaller units around.
Pop over to nvforum and have a chat on there as in the most, they are helpful and normally will point you in the right direction.

Back