Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what caliber for a lever gun for deer shooting in dense pine woodland

what caliber for a lever gun for deer shooting in dense pine woodland

Evening all, looking for some advice and thoughts on a caliber for a lever action rifle for close (max 75yds) deer gun. i love my henry .22lr lever gun with open sights for close rabbiting and would love the same kind of thing for some new land that consists of some dense pine woods. this place is old and untouched for 70 years, using a conventional bolt gun with a scope (already have a .243 and .270) is just not practical when i can only see on average 30yds safe enough to take a shot between trees into the bank behind, a few old access tracks have 75yds safe shots into the bank behind but that's it. what do you guys think on caliber?

.30-30, if you want to stay with the Winchester or Marlin.

But if you just like lever guns, and want more versatility, the quick handling of the Marlin but the accuracy and reach of a bolt action, look at a Savage 99 or Browning BLR.
    Last edited by Southern; 31-12-2014 at 22:03.

What species of deer are you stalking?
    “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Sherlock Holmes.

30-30 plenty gun for any species, atb wayne
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Love lever guns in that scenario. A good old 30.30 would do the job however i did have a liking for the Browning BLR in 308.
    The trigger was average at best but the detachable magazine and the ability to shoot pointed projectiles made it a winner.

Best to chrono the 30/30 some loads can be marginal on the 1700ft/lbs !

I was indeed thinking 30-30. I took a walk there yesterday with a 243 and it appears to be roe that are abundant and I have been told a large group of fallow move through the plot a few times a year. I have seen the odd red in the adjoining field so I think red may be there at some time also.

You dont need 20/20 to see 30/30 is a classic.

45-70. Marlin 1895, mounted with a 6x42, or even a 4x32 launching a 405grn cast bullet at about 1600 fps gets you deer legal and puts deer down rapid with absolute minimum carcass damage.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Best get a 444 marlin "does what it says on the tin"
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"