Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270

Evening all
    Im sat here wondering why the .270 a very popular/effective deer caliber, it does not seem to be used as a target round?
    any ideas?

Lack of target projectiles and it's just not as good as people would have you believe.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Not being a military cartridge, it was not permitted in many of the centerfire matches in the USA. There just never were many bullets developed for it. There were, and are, so many 6.5x55, .303, .30-06, .308 matches and rifles out there. And the surplus ammunition for these rifles was so cheap and plentiful. If you went .270 or 7mm, even where permitted, you were out there on your own with just a few bullets.

If you want to play around, try the Sierra 135-gr MK.

Thanks for the prompt reply its far simpler than I expected, I dont have one and don't particularly want one was just wondering!

A catch 22 of typical factory barrel twist rates not stabilising heavy high bc bullets and bullet manufacturers not making high bc heavy bullets because typical barrels wouldn't stabilise them if they did

If it was good enough for Jack O'Connor

Target shooters and hunters have completely disparate requirements from a cartridge, & what's a superb option for one won't necessarily suit another. I love my .270, but I'll readily agree that other calibres offer better accuracy if that's what floats your boat. For my part, I need a cartridge that offers good downrange energy, with a trajectory I can easily visualise to take a fleetingly-offered shot at very short notice on anything I'm likely to encounter, be it roe, red or whitetail in the USA. I don't need a tack-driver that can cloverleaf at 600 yards. Horses for courses

150-gr is heavy enough for the bore, and there are so many great bullets in 130, 140 and 150 grains. You could just shoot different types of 130-gr bullets and take most of the big game in the world. Same for the 150-gr. It was literally made to order for 300 yard shots on deer, antelope and sheep.

The .270 shoots as flat as the hard-kicking magnums without the recoil, so bullet placement is easier for most hunters. You can simply practice more with it. It is not expensive to shoot.

Many people overlook its versatility. It can accurately shoot bullets from 90 grains to 150 grains, and at less than top velocities. You can make it like a .243 for fox, coyote or small deer, or like a .308 for big deer, bear, and boar.

I also love my .270 I do use it for some fun target shooting. Nothing official. There are less choices of bullet head compared to say .30 cal but in my opinion get a bullet head that works well in the particular rifle you are using and stick with it for hunting and target. .270 will easily take 600yd shots and above if the person behind it is up to the task. Love the calibre and there will always be one in my cabinet.

Didn't want one because of the ( kicks like a mule ) reputation untill I found a L61R I really liked I've now shot fallow and roe and fox with 130 gr geco polymer tipped bullets and have to admit the recoil is negligible Even without a mod and it certainly does the buisness with no more damage than my 6.5 or 308 but it's very noisy

135gr Sierra SMK's work well
    i have shot at 5-600yds with mine

never had a target style scope on mine though, it's my stalking rifle!