Field Accuracy

As to the question of why a good shot can shoot a deer easily at 200 yards with a 2 MOA rifle, he will not add 1/2 MOA of slop. And offhand shot at 150 yards with a 1.5 MOA rifle is a sure thing, and prone even more so.

My question is more to do with why anyone would choose a weapon and use it at a range when another one would perhaps be better. Its a bit like the bowhunting thing for me, why deliberately choose an inferior weapon. I would love an underlever but would only use it at modest distances as I have other rifles that are more capable at longer ones. So the question was why buy a 200yard rifle and try make it into a 300 yard one when you could simply have bought the 300yard one at a outset?

My question is more to do with why anyone would choose a weapon and use it at a range when another one would perhaps be better. Its a bit like the bowhunting thing for me, why deliberately choose an inferior weapon. I would love an underlever but would only use it at modest distances as I have other rifles that are more capable at longer ones. So the question was why buy a 200yard rifle and try make it into a 300 yard one when you could simply have bought the 300yard one at a outset?

Specifically pertaining to the lever guns like the 30-30, I don't think anyone here as said the 30-30 was a 300 yard cartridge. It will kill deer at 200, I know this for certain. (Scoped Remington 788 bolt action)

If you can't understand why people bow hunt, then you won't understand using a rifle of an antiquated design, either. It's to challenge oneself. I can lie on a hill and shoot unsuspecting deer at 300 yards all day long with a scoped high powered rifle but I don't like it. I like to get closer. If the situation is right I use an open sighted rifle. Maybe a muzzle loading rifle. I usually shoot off-hand. It levels the playing field.~Muir

If you can't understand why people bow hunt, then you won't understand using a rifle of an antiquated design, either. It's to challenge oneself.

I can see that. Just think it somewhat contradicts the desire to do the best thing by the animal that you are choosing to hunt. If you choose to use an inferior weapon by way of design or calibre then it seems reasonable to accept these deficiencies and not try and make up for them or simply use a more appropriate piece of equipment.

Its a bit like the bowhunting thing for me, why deliberately choose an inferior weapon.

A lack of understanding there then maybe? however i don't see the relevance of that statement in this thread..:confused:

Its a bit like the bowhunting thing for me, why deliberately choose an inferior weapon.

A lack of understanding there then maybe? however i don't see the relevance of that statement in this thread..:confused:

The inherent accuracy of some rifles and their ability to take animals was being discussed.

Specifically pertaining to the lever guns like the 30-30, I don't think anyone here as said the 30-30 was a 300 yard cartridge. It will kill deer at 200, I know this for certain. (Scoped Remington 788 bolt action)

If you can't understand why people bow hunt, then you won't understand using a rifle of an antiquated design, either. It's to challenge oneself. I can lie on a hill and shoot unsuspecting deer at 300 yards all day long with a scoped high powered rifle but I don't like it. I like to get closer. If the situation is right I use an open sighted rifle. Maybe a muzzle loading rifle. I usually shoot off-hand. It levels the playing field.~Muir

Exactly , every fall we have a military surplus hunt . It doesn't matter what you bring ( within legal limits ) as long as it was military issue . We get everything from Lee Enfields to M-95 Hungarian straight pulls . One of the boys uses a minty 1871 Mauser chambered in 43 Mauser . He uses black powder , and lead bullets to duplicate the original loading . The sights are archaic and the bullet drops like a rock past 150 yards , but he's cleanly taken a few animals over the years with it . We do it because it's challenging , and to a man ( and two women ) they are very experienced hunters who don't take questionable shots . It just adds another dimension to our hunting .

It's like asking me why I'd rather drive an old BSA Gold Star instead of a newer crotch rocket , it's just more satisfying for me . If it doesn't float your boat , that's OK too .

AB

That is something that is not decided by the gear you use.~Muir

Is that really your view? I think you were saying recently that you would refuse to hunt with someone using a .243. Anyway don't wont to get involved in a urinating competition, for me I would pull out of the cabinet the rifle that would be 'best' suited to the quarry and the distance that was shooting at/over. If the distances were short, I accept that the choice would be that much greater.

Is that really your view? I think you were saying recently that you would refuse to hunt with someone using a .243. Anyway don't wont to get involved in a urinating competition, for me I would pull out of the cabinet the rifle that would be 'best' suited to the quarry and the distance that was shooting at/over. If the distances were short, I accept that the choice would be that much greater.

I did say that. But that 'decision' was made when the person picked out a 243 for deer that can weigh as much as 250 pounds and is shot at distance. And I agree with you: You pull out the rifle that is best suited. Alternatively, you make yourself work within the limits of the weapon. This is where doing the best for the animal comes in. I don't head off across open prairie with an iron sighted 30-30 but I will hunt in timber or canyon country with one. When I do, I hunt responsibly with it and do well by the animal I'm hunting. ~Muir

I would love an underlever but would only use it at modest distances as I have other rifles that are more capable at longer ones. So the question was why buy a 200yard rifle and try make it into a 300 yard one when you could simply have bought the 300yard one at a outset?

I have fitted my 24-inch Marlin 336 half magazine .30-30 with a Lyman 17A globe front sight and Lyman 66 rear sight. I am not trying to make it a 300 yard rifle. I am trying to utilize the accuracy it has, without a scope. I like iron sights, and clean and light rifles.

I hunt with an 1888 Commision Rifle in 8x57J, with a 170-gr bullet at 2,400 fps, and limit myself to 100 yard shots. But I have a .303 No.4 MkII and a Yugo M48 Mauser which will vaporize bottle caps at 100 yards, from field positions. I would shoot a deer at 300 yards with complete confidence with either of them, but the game is to see how close I can get, with them or with any rifle, handgun or bow. Hunt everything like all I had was a bow or .357 revolver.

I have fitted my 24-inch Marlin 336 half magazine .30-30 with a Lyman 17A globe front sight and Lyman 66 rear sight. I am not trying to make it a 300 yard rifle. I am trying to utilize the accuracy it has, without a scope. I like iron sights, and clean and light rifles.

I hunt with an 1888 Commision Rifle in 8x57J, with a 170-gr bullet at 2,400 fps, and limit myself to 100 yard shots. But I have a .303 No.4 MkII and a Yugo M48 Mauser which will vaporize bottle caps at 100 yards, from field positions. I would shoot a deer at 300 yards with complete confidence with either of them, but the game is to see how close I can get, with them or with any rifle, handgun or bow. Hunt everything like all I had was a bow or .357 revolver.

If I lead you to believe that I was referring to your specific hunting practices then that was a mistake.

I'm preparing to use an older style weapon. Single shot with open sights.
Simple really, whatever range I can shoot a group I'm happy with, from all field positions is the Max range for me with that rifle.
No different to a modern whizz bang scoped rifle. Everybody should only be shooting to their tested Max range.

So its no less humane since you just limit range accordingly. Each to their own I guess. I have no desire to shoot game at range, I'd rather go away empty handed. Others want to be able to take game when they see it. More power to 'em, but not for me.

As has been said. Tool for a job. I wouldn't take my rifle after Ibex that's for sure :)

Last edited:
Back