New tikka or 2nd hand sako

mike243

I had a visit from my FEO last week who agreed to my variation request for a .308 so since then ive been hunting around on the net looking at different rifles to see what takes my fancy, I much prefer a walnut and blued steel rifle to a synthetic, ive kind of narrowed it down to a new Tikka T3 Hunter or a 2nd hand Sako older model Forrester, M591 or similar as they are all available for around the same price, ive been using guntrader as a reference for price and to look at the different styles, sorry if this has been done to death previously but any advise would be most helpful

mike

I agree, having looked at a fair number new and old Tikka's and Sako's over the past few weeks I reckon the slighter older ones are definately better IMO. I hate the new tiny bolts etc of the smaller calibre Sako's and don't get me started on Tikka's totally plastic mags!!

Well, I have both a tikka t3 stainless and
a sako 85 all weather! Both are excellent straight
from the box producing cloverleaf groups at 100 yards with
homeloads.The only thing that seperates them is build quality!
Better stock, magazine on the sako.
I would not rule out a new tikka, at least you will know it's history.

Get a Sako L579 or A2 and you will keep it. Get a Tikka and you may wonder what if...

Hello Mike,
I don't like synthetic stocks either so I came to a compromise. Laminated, I also went stainless so i really do not need to worry about the elements. Good luck with your search as i was looking for about six months for a good second hand sako, In the end i gave up and bought new. And guess what happend as soon as i parted with the money? Yes your right two offers of second hand.
Regards
Greg.

Sako 85 .270 stainless laminated hunter.jpg

I have both, sako A2 in 308 and T3 hunter in 243 and love them both, very accurate, the T3 l got new a year ago and the A2 l got second hand only because l new the history of the rifle, you need to do what you think is best for you, both manufacturers are basically out of the same factory, ok there is a difference in build quality but in my opinion it does not make a shred of difference if they shoot strait.

Hi,
I have just found an old Sako 75 apparently mint condition, left handed wooden stock, blue barrel. With a Leupold scope on it in 30-06. I am just wondering if at just short of a £1000 it might be a bit pricey considering I bought an equally mint Sako AV .270 no scope for £550 from another dealer.

Ian

Hi,
I have just found an old Sako 75 apparently mint condition, left handed wooden stock, blue barrel. With a Leupold scope on it in 30-06. I am just wondering if at just short of a £1000 it might be a bit pricey considering I bought an equally mint Sako AV .270 no scope for £550 from another dealer.

Ian

Depending on condition, & model of Leupold scope, it sounds about right...optilock mounts & rings included etc.

Back