life changing event

Paul at Fechan

don't worry, in a good way.... I bought a good size food dehydrator off cheabay that arrived today Andrew James 6 Tray Digital Food Dehydrator, Fruit Preserver, Beef Jerky Dryer | eBay (£40 delivered)

made fallow fillet jerky, ate it ALL in one go

... kids and wife helped but she took the last piece which I'm really not happy about in fairness

I've been meaning to give this a go for a while but so glad I just went for it, if its crossed your mind then just do it because its simple to do and so rewarding :cool:

Did you cut it by hand or use a slicer? I don't have a chiller so not sure I'll be able to cut it thin enough as it'll be very fresh and probably still a bit soft. Maybe semi freeze it?

I cut mine 1/4 inch thick, and use a couple of jerky mixes from basspro, although you can make your own mix.

Please excuse my ignorance . What is a food dehydrator ? What is the process to produce the jerky ?

Chill

Please excuse my ignorance . What is a food dehydrator ? What is the process to produce the jerky ?

Chill

Chill

A food dehydrator uses a combination of heat and air flow to remove moisture from whatever is put inside it. You can typically vary both the temperature and the drying time accordingly for different products - fruit, vegetables, meat, etc. It basically replicates how our forebears used to prepare food for storage by leaving any surplus food to air-dry.

There are lots of recipes on the net for making jerky in a dehydrator, for example: https://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/Making_Safe Jerky_in_a Home_Dehydrator3.pdf

Pineapple, banana, apple, tomatoes, etc seem to work particularly well when dried in a dehydrator. If I see them on offer in the supermarket I'll buy them, slice them thinly, and pop them in the dehydrator.

Aup Paul, it's the bizz, best thing I ever made! You can make the next batch for a big trip up north. After you demolished that I made last time!

What flavour did you make

sort of sweet peppery cajan, don't know what you would call it really. Did a marinate with salt, pepper, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, onion, garlic powder and cajan pepper with a bit of tomato sauce in too. Left it in a bit then just laid the strips out and gave it a few hours and boof got a surprise

just cut it by hand

yeh stu it was good stuff nummy

Last edited:
Just a thought, I have one of the fridge style Bradley smokers which use the sawdust briquettes. Presumably I could achieve same if I effectively cold smoked Ie at the v low temperature, but without inserting any briquettes Anyone done that??
d

Just a thought, I have one of the fridge style Bradley smokers which use the sawdust briquettes. Presumably I could achieve same if I effectively cold smoked Ie at the v low temperature, but without inserting any briquettes Anyone done that??
d

And an interesting thought at that!

I've not got a Bradley smoker though have looked at them several times in the past.

I see there are a couple of recipes for jerky on their US website: Beef or Wild Game Jerky | Bradley Smoker North America and Bradley’s Top 10 Smoked Jerky Recipes | Bradley Smoker North America

And from a forum: First Time Making Bradley Smoker Jerky - Tips? - Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Last edited:
Back