Rear Iron Sight for BRNO Combination gun

Eyefor

Help / advice needed please.

Would anyone know where I might find a rear iron sight that will fit on to the dovetail (14mm?) on my Brno combination 12g / .222?

The current "rear" sight is fairly primitive and quite close to the front sight so I'm thinking that a (better) sight further apart and nearer to the eye will be more accurate?

I tried a scope on it today and didn't like it at all.

There are several types available from Midway - but I could not find anything that will fit the BRNO / CZ.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A tricky one.

I think Kozap do a Weaver adapter for the Brno (though it may depend which model you have). That would give you a standard platform, making it easier to find a compatible receiver sight. However, the extra height in the rear sight is likely to require a taller front post. Some Brno's have a double-ended post that can be removed and turned on its head to change the POI, but even this may not be enough.

Have you thought of trying the gun with a low-profile red-dot sight? I know you can get bases for the Docter sight. I have one of these on my Brno 502. I wouldn't say the Docter Sight is more precise than the iron sights, but it is faster on target.

What height do you need, measured from bottom of the sight in the dovetail, to the bottom of the notch?
Recknagel makes lots of rear sight blades for a 14mm dovetail.
If you want something windage and elevation adjustable, and your front sight is tall enough, buy the blade for the express sight base used on the 1990s Model 70 Express, from New England Custom Gun. I fitted one of these on a vintage Oberndorf Mauser and really like it, just as I did on my Model 70 .375 H&H.win-m70-express-front-sight.jpg

win-m70-express-rear-sight-necg.jpgIf your front sight is low, you will have to buy one of the low blades from Recknagel, perhaps file it down a bit and cut your own notch. They make one with two blades, the taller blade in front, folding down, for two elevations.

Edit: See pages 10-14 of the link to the catalog below, by Mr Gain.
A post of your front sight and rear dovetail would be helpful.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the replies.

I have looked at the Recknagel catalogue and (from what I can see) they only do peep sights with a dovetail fitting but I think this type could block out the wider picture for live shooting?

Below are pictures of my front sight and my 14mm rail which has a locator lug.

View attachment 51263

View attachment 51265
View attachment 51264

Also a link to New England Custom Gun (mentioned by Southern) who manufacture peep rear sights with a dovetail fitting - but no simple V sight?

Item Information At NewEnglandCustomGun.com

As southern points out any rear sight will need to be low?

Thanks .

Last edited:
The sturdy V blade with a little round notch. like the one in the photo I posted off my Model 70 Express, is very quick to center up. It is fully adjustable, and sturdy; you are not going to break if off in the brush.

The blade is reversible. One side is plain, the other has a small white arrowhead pointing up to the notch. In bright daylight the front sight appears dark in that hood or without the hood. In dim light, and against dark fur, the white dot and arrowhead stand out and are easy to line up, just like a police pistol sight.

I really like peep rear sights - particularly the ones with dial in hole changes & elevation & windage adjusters. (old target rifle style). Plus the shrouded foresight type that has both a post & an apperture element on a pivot - both of which offer the same zero. - I have this on my mini BSA Martini .22LR - it's a joy to use & very flexible. - In reasonable light it's as good as a scope & much better than vee/notch sights for me as it doesn't suffer as much from poi cahnges with varying light!

Ian

Eyefor -
Your rear sight base photo looks different than I imagined. You say it is a 14mm rail. I was thinking of a 14mm dovetail for the rear blade, which is a standard size from old Mausers. Your dovetail looks like 3/8 inch, which is an American standard from lever actions. If so, you can buy a Marbles or Lyman rear sight. They come in three heights, with fine adjustments. An option is a fine windage adjustment, so you don't have to tap it into the dovetail perfectly. Another option is folding, so you can fold it down our of the way for brush , saddle scabbard, scope, or a peep sight on the rear. And they cost only about $15.00.. The one for the Ruger Mini-14 has a peep hole instead of a notch, as it mounts closer to the eye.

Eyefor -
Your rear sight base photo looks different than I imagined. You say it is a 14mm rail. I was thinking of a 14mm dovetail for the rear blade, which is a standard size from old Mausers. Your dovetail looks like 3/8 inch, which is an American standard from lever actions. If so, you can buy a Marbles or Lyman rear sight. They come in three heights, with fine adjustments. An option is a fine windage adjustment, so you don't have to tap it into the dovetail perfectly. Another option is folding, so you can fold it down our of the way for brush , saddle scabbard, scope, or a peep sight on the rear. And they cost only about $15.00.. The one for the Ruger Mini-14 has a peep hole instead of a notch, as it mounts closer to the eye.

It's definitely 14mm (9/16")

The NECG CZ peep sight is for 14mm and I have a Hillver QD dovetail rail specifically for the BRNO / CZ combination guns (series 300 and 500) that has the rear locator and two scope mount (upstand) posts - but no V notch sight (yet!).

I had to hand file the NECG express sight rear blade down for a rifle with a 12mm dovetail.

The NECG rear peep file is really nice. I have one for the 7x64 I am buliding on an old Ruger tang safety action. My first choice for a a rear sight is the Ruger island with the folding leaf, so I can use the NECG peep. If I cannot get one from Ruger, thrn I am putting the NECG express sight on its island for the rear and just call it done.

Put a single folding Recknagel leaf on in your dovetail, by filing down the dovetail to 9/16 inches, or get a gunsmith to cut you a 9/16 dovetail with a 3/8 dovetail cut into it, and use the Lyman folding leaf sight with windage screw. Then you can still use the NECG peep sight on the rail, too, and the scope. What a nice mix that would be!!

Last edited:
I had to hand file the NECG express sight rear blade down for a rifle with a 12mm dovetail.

The NECG rear peep file is really nice. I have one for the 7x64 I am buliding on an old Ruger tang safety action. My first choice for a a rear sight is the Ruger island with the folding leaf, so I can use the NECG peep. If I cannot get one from Ruger, thrn I am putting the NECG express sight on its island for the rear and just call it done.

Put a single folding Recknagel leaf on in your dovetail, by filing down the dovetail to 9/16 inches, or get a gunsmith to cut you a 9/16 dovetail with a 3/8 dovetail cut into it, and use the Lyman folding leaf sight with windage screw. Then you can still use the NECG peep sight on the rail, too, and the scope. What a nice mix that would be!!

If I cannot find a simpler solution then I will try filing (or milling) the Recknagel. I'm not back in the US until next month so I will pick up the NECG peep sight for future tinkering.

Thanks for all inputs. Much appreciated.

Midway and Brownells sell the NECG sights, but the whole units. If you buy from NECG, they will sell you just the blade, etc. Also, since they are gunsmiths, and build custom rifles, they are familiar with lots of combination guns, shotguns, and other rifles. You can talk to someone on the phone who will know exactly what your situation is.

Back