Deerstalking Fair, Kelso 28th & 29th March 2015

jamross65

The third Scottish Deerstalking Fair is planned for the weekend of the 28th and 29th March 2015, at the Border Union Agricultural Showground, Springwood Park, Kelso in the Scottish Borders.

For those who have been before, we hope that some of the new ideas and plans for this years event will add something new and different however, as always all the areas and aspects of stalking are still covered. From rifles, both factory and custom, optics, clothing, footwear, knives and butchery equipment, reloading components and dogs for deer to ATV's, it should all be under one (two!) roof!

This year we are lucky to have Callum Ferguson from Precision Rifle Services (PRS) doing a short seminar each day on rifle accuracy, rifle building and reloading. In fact he will be happy to answer any of your questions during a Q & A session. Callum generally does not have the time to do this, but after a bit of persuasion and playing the 'friendship' card, we convinced him. He really is one of the leading authorities in rifle building and is a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

There is live tracking demos planned from the UKSHA (United Kingdom Scenthound Association) in the extensive grounds of the venue, weather permitting obviously. This will include a commentary on shot site inspection, advice on when to follow up or wait, looking for sign on the track, identifying the dogs reaction and what to do when the injured animal is found. For anyone at all interested in working dogs for deer, this will be a highly valuable demonstration with lots of good points to be learned.

The CIC will also do a short presentation on Trophy assessment to include some of the changes recently made to the scoring process of roebucks.

And after the positive feedback on the cookery demos last year with venison, we will also continue that again but this year it will include a butchery and sausage making demonstration.

Times of these events will be advertised at the venue on each day.

Zeiss are sponsoring the event and prizes available will be announced soon. Prices will still remain at £10 for adults, kids under 16 are free and parking is also free. Refreshments will again be available within the venue. All persons paying a full price entry fee are included in the prize draw announced each day. Just fill in your contact details after entering on a card and pop it into the Zeiss stand. If you have to leave you will be contacted if you win.

Doors open at 9am and close at 5pm.

We look forward to seeing old friends and new visitors over the weekend. We also thank those of you who continue to support this event in the hope it will continue and grow for many years to come.

Last edited:
Looking forward to it a must attend day for me - especially interested in Callum's presentation & meeting all the usual culprits of course - Many thanks for staging this event Jamross - it's a real highlight!

Ian

Missed the recent one, having had to work, but hopefully today's job interview will put me in a new job, with better prospects for stalking & shows.

We will be there and I hope the UKSHA has a translator either German to English or Aberdonian to English.

No Problem, I will be doing German to English. Not entirely sure about the Aberdonian one mind. Some bloke called Ken apparently:stir:

Good to hear the event is on again and the date is safely in my diary. Look forward to seeing every one!

Will i be allowed in??

If not this is for you:
IMG_20150109_174624_zpsbd019257.jpg

I wouldn't mind crossing the water for the weekend. Would Edinburgh be the handiest place to fly into and stay? Maybe hire a car for the day at the fair.

Back