Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small BB/air rifle for children

Small BB/air rifle for children

What pint sized BB or air rifles can your recommend for (supervised) fun with children under the age of 10?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a BSA 'Hornet' (I think) for my 2 youngest (10 & 11) last year in .22 and they have loved it. One of them finds it hard to cock but no doubt it will get easier as they grow. Came with a natty little scope (RRP: 35) that made me realize how good my Swarovski is Definitely not a case of 'spending the same on the scope as the gun'.... Great entry level/price gun that will last for years.
    Bags of fun and not too expensive and they can both shoulder it / enjoy it with relative ease.
    Grab some of those Firebird targets that either explode or create vast clouds of smoke for added fun.

+1 on the Firebird targets. Kids will love them!

I'd go with a Weihrauch HW25 Carbine in .177 with a simple 4x or 6x fixed air gun scope.

It's a nice quality but inexpensive rifle of the right size / weight with a good trigger, plus it's accurate - nothing is more off-putting to a beginner, particularly a child, than a gun that's horrible to use or is inaccurate.

If you want to push the boat out and buy a pre-charged air rifle, I'd suggest a secondhand Air Arms S200 Mk1, which is what many air gun clubs use for beginners and younger members.

Having been here with both of my sons, I'd also recommend a few reactive targets that can be knocked down and re-set by a pull-string, some spinner targets and a few homemade ones such as water-filled balloons, eggs etc., as these definitely hold a youngster's interest longer than punching holes in paper.

I just went the whole hog and got my 3 year old a 410 shotgun then cut the stock down so that she could shoulder mount it properly.

Mine started with and SMK XS15 springer that I still have, then moved on to an XS78 CO2 gun. Seated with a suitable hight rest gives them a good chance of hitting something and early encouragement.

Crossman do a nice skeleton stock rifle that's very light my mates eight year old uses one , but its co2 so more expensive to shoot that a springer but I believe its close to 12 lbs.

I bought the Weihrauch HW30S for my kids last year, comparatively expensive, but a quality rifle that I hope will be handed down through the generations. The reduced ~8ft/lb may mean will need another once they reach their teens and are introduced to live quarry, but in the meantime makes cocking so much easier for their small arms.

Suggest you look at the Gammo range of smaller air rifles, they are excellent, cheap but relatively good quality and nice designs.

Pm inbound!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory