Sizing brass

Greener Jim

So, started to resize my new norma brass tonight.
I've set the die as per instructions but it isn't sizing the neck, what am I doing wrong?

I can tell as some of the brass has minor dinks in the neck and they aren't being removed at all.

Its td a straight case if that makes a difference

Last edited:
Mark the outside of the case with a felt tip marker, to see if the die is coming down on it.
And what about the inside sizer ball? Is it missing?

How would I check for the inner sizing ball?

Its 45-120 cases through RCBS dies Ian.

I'm not sure there is an expander ball in the FL sizer of a 45-120. IF it's a 3 die set the expansion is done with the 2nd die. You DO have the right die in the press, right?? If so. does a bullet fall into the case??~Muir

It is indeed a 3 die set.
I have the sizing die in there definitely. What I'm gleaming from this is that the neck will be resized by the neck expanding die, that right?

I don't know why but that didn't even occur to me!

Not really resized more belled out Jim if the dies work in a similar fashion to pistol dies.

As Muir has said.

If you are shooting lead and BP you want to bell the case mouth as little as possible to get the bullet started into the case. Too little and it will shave lead from the bullet or worse yet crumple an expensive casing. Don't try to put a crimp on the bullet once it has been seated. Better to buy a separate Taper-crimp die from Lyman.

What load are you using? Do you SPG's BP relaoding primer? Good info in there but some of it very dated.

SS

I'm using triple 7 load data. I don't have bullets yet. I just wanted to get all the brass sorted and primed ready for when the bullets arrive next week.

Happy days i'll just bell them a little then to get a feel for it and then I can try when the bullets arrive. I can always expand them more if needs be

How would I check for the inner sizing ball?

Its 45-120 cases through RCBS dies Ian.

Thats interesting i did not know that Norma made 3 1/4" cases.
As a matter of interest when i was handlaoding 45 x 2 1/10" (45-70) for my perdesoli sharps i used lyman dies and had minimal neck tension just enough to hold the bullet, after compressing the powder column and waxed wad approx 1/8" (swiss black powder, do not try this with smokeless) i would finger seat the bullets onto the top of the wad.

Ian.

As far as I'm aware only Norma still make it. Seems good but it's bloody expensive mind!

I'll going blacj powder eventually for club shoots but smokeless for hunting.

As far as I'm aware only Norma still make it. Seems good but it's bloody expensive mind!

I'll going blacj powder eventually for club shoots but smokeless for hunting.

Aussie company Bertram, make cases to cover most obsolete BP cartridges and more, including a rimmed .45 cal 3 1/4" basic case perfect for the 45-120 of for forming into many others, whether its cheaper or not i dont know but its widely available in the UK

Ian.

You will also need to keep and eye on the hardness. Most cases this long need to be annealed before their first use and every once in a while thereafter. If you notice a lot of smudging down the sides of the case upon firing it is time to anneal. The longer the cases (larger charges) to more frequently you will have to do this, they work harden fast. If you do not anneal your accuracy will be very disappointing.

I have had no luck with BP substitutes, hopefully you will do better. In 45-110 and 50-90 I get the best groups with Swss 1.5F, matter of fact, I get the best accuracy in all my BP guns with Swiss 1.5 except for the 50-70, 2F seems to work better in it.

I usually tumble all BP casings between firings, this is done after depriming and sizing (tumbling after prevents any lube contamination). I then prime and charge the case through a 30 inch drop tube. The charge is then compressed with a compression die, the amount depends on the powder and previous testing. With some charges using Swiss no compression is required. I then place a hard card wad (milk carton cut with a die punch in the reloading press) on top of the powder charge. I then put in a disc of wax paper (cut with same punch) on top of the card, this prevents the bullet from sticking to the card wad and affecting flight. The bullet is then "thumb-seated" (might require pushing against the edge of the reloading bench) until it is in firm contact with the powder charge/wads. I then use a taper-crimp die to put a little grip on the bullet and ensure consistant bullet release pressure.

SS

Cheers for all the input mate.
I'll make sure I look at my brass and examine it.

If triple 7 doesn't work I'll go smokeless with one of the hodgdon loads. Unfortunately I can't have Blackpowder for a while due to my accomodation.

Back