Mincer jamming with sinew

shotguntom

Chaps,

I have a pretty bog standard electric mincer I bought to process the odd bit of venison. I know people warn against buying cheap ones but I will not be doing anywhere near the volume required to warrant buying a high end one.

My issue is that my mincer does not seem to 'mince' the sinew in the meat. I remove as much as I can before feeding it in but it seems as if the smallest amount just builds up in the end grate that shapes the minced meat and clogs the whole thing up.

any ideas on how to solve this?

Cheers.

Buy a better one, I bought cheap first time due to the exact same thing happening.
Think it was the Anthony warrel one only £40 but took it back in wich bought one from weschenfelder for I think nearly triple but I don't regret it. Cheap miners tends to make mince look more like pulp.
i only use mine probably six times a year but worth it as saves times and frustration when you no the reason to why it's happening.

Deer sinews and muscle sheaths are very tough.
best to trimm off as much as possible before mincing

Just check the blade is in the right way around. I bought an Andrew James mincer and it just kept blocking with anything slightly tough. The blade was fitted the wrong way in the factory and I assumed it was correct. Turn it around and it will mince far more sinew that I would ever want to eat!

Just check the blade is in the right way around. I bought an Andrew James mincer and it just kept blocking with anything slightly tough. The blade was fitted the wrong way in the factory and I assumed it was correct. Turn it around and it will mince far more sinew that I would ever want to eat!

+1

Try the blade both ways and its surprising the difference....... not that I've put it in backwards previously you understand!

Machine
Check blade is correct way round (sharp, flat edge against plate). Check the front ring is tight enough (not gorilla tight but it should be snug) Once all together there should be no side ways corkscrewing wiggle in the worm and blade.

Meat
Remove what sinew you sensibly can. Cut across the sinew when dicing so each bit is shorter (it still may not be cut by blade but will increase chance of being pushed through and not clogging). Put meat in freezer to firm up (not freeze) before mincing.

One or a mix of the above should help. If not then you have to put up with it or buy a different mincer. Though to be fair most of the little jobs should work within their parameters.
Could be a dodgy individual machine. I had a Tre-Spade from Weschenfelder that I knew should be performing better than it was. They took it back for a look see and replaced the barrel for me free of any charge under warranty. Works a treat now.

Hope some of the above helps.

We had an Andrew James one, it fell apart half way through the fourth Fallow carcase!

atb Tim

We had an Andrew James one, it fell apart half way through the fourth Fallow carcase!

atb Tim

oh I can better that, lol.
my Andrew James mincer burned out after mincing approximately 6kg of fallow. Heap of ****.
now got a buffalo and so far it's great!

first time I tried I had same problem a butcher told me to ensure I cubed the meat cutting across the grain and any sinews. Also remove as much sinew as possible. it solved the problem fo me.

As said make sure blade right way around but also that your plate is the same way around each time as the plate & blade end up bedded in together .... I was told this on SD actually so I marked plate so I know each time I use it ...

Paul

As said make sure blade right way around but also that your plate is the same way around each time as the plate & blade end up bedded in together .... I was told this on SD actually so I marked plate so I know each time I use it ...

Paul

Live got a manual cast iron one and although it wa ok I took the plate off and rubbed it on a piece of 600 grit sandpaper stuck to some mdf to get it perfectly flat and smooth and then did the same with the blade but on 1200 grit and now it minces through anything and is way easier to use.

I use my mincer a lot on both meat for me and whole rabbits and hare for the dogs when the blade starts to clag up I regrind it you need to sharpen it on the edge the meat runs over not the edge that touches the plate also have a washer on the worm to make sure the blade is tight on the plate

As said , check disc and blade are fitted correct and not damaged . Chill meat , which should be cubed less than 2inch and remove the worst sinews first . This should work in a domestic mincer. Industrial mincers seem less fussy.

Could also try putting the coarse blade on first and then the medium but you will probably have to clean out the sinew at some stage if you haven't cut out the silver skin between the muscles.

Back