Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Practice Shooting

Practice Shooting

Tonight my heart is glad. I have had my right hand in a cast for three weeks, having stubbornly resisted a casting for two weeks previous to that. It is good to have my hand back.

The first thing I did with it was to get in some long over-due off hand practice with the old Brno .22 LR. I took a co-worker out and we set up clay pigeons on the gravel bank in back of his property. The range was 60 yards and we broke the birds and then the pieces, and then shot at the left-over bits. We had a wonderful time and for me, it felt good to shake off the rust and get back into practice. My friend and I decided that we will come out at least twice a week and shoot 50 round each, per session, in preparation for deer hunting.

And that's my "top tip": Get out and practice off hand with a good .22 rifle; even if the property you hunt on requires sticks or a bipod. Diligent off hand practice makes shooting off of any kind of support seem all the easier.~Muir

Glad to hear you are back in action.

Likewise glad to hear that you are back in business.

I also like your top tip - I hadn't really thought that freehand shooting would assist supported shooting, but I can really believe that it does. And practice shooting with a .22LR rifle makes so much sense given the low cost of ammo compared to any centrefire. Of course over here you need a reason and a license extension for the .22LR calibre (even if you have centrefire license) so until I get that sorted I will try getting some freehand practice with the air rifle!

Hi Andy
    Good to see your back in action. I wonder how many practice freehand. I have little comps Seb and I hate admit he wins more than I would like to admit with the .22RF. But it does bring improvement.

Good luck with your speedy recovery

I enjoy shooting gallery rifle comps free hand up to 50m, turning/timed targets etc with my .44 underlever. I never really thought about it as being practice for stalking but I suppose it does help with target acquisition and confidence!

Rats in the lamp when the hens are abed, not much time to aquire & let em' have it with the 10/22
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks for the well wishes, Gents. I had a fight with gravity and found myself overmatched. I'm still a little stiff but otherwise on the mend.

Any kind of off hand practice is good. (I once had a small selection of air rifles myself.) I thrive on off hand shooting but believe that many people don't bother with it. My work-mate and I went out again to the gravel bank tonight. We again set up clay birds on the gravel bank and again broke the birds, and then the pieces, and then the bits -but this time at 80 yards. In a month we will move back to 100 yards. We have 7 months until the fall seasons start and I do believe we will be in good form. If we can consistently break 4" discs at 100 yards a deer should be an easy meal. It takes discipline and diligence to practice off hand but the rewards are great. I guarantee that if you practice off hand shooting as often as possible, you'll spend less time fidgeting around the next time you get a cross-hair over a deer.~Muir

Muir, Good to hear you are on the mend, What thoughts do you have on shooting with the use of the sling?, Up until a couple of years ago when I was introduced to this method, I thought it was just something practiced by actors on the silver screen!, what a revelation! when done correctly, some excellent results can be achieved.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 17-03-2010 at 09:01. Reason: typo's
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Ahhh Gentlemen,

Although this book might seem a bit dated there are enough pearls of wisdom to make it worth the read even though it was aimed at the beginer rifle shot. The book I am taking about is :-

The Hunting Rifle ....... By Townsend Whelan ISBN: 0-935632-13-1 from Wolfe Publishing

I not only teaches the use of the sling but also shooting from field positions and the importance of a correctly fitting rifle stock. Although some of the information is dated such as the choice of bullets it's interesting to note that even back in the late 1930's and early 1940's hunters were concerned about bullet construction and performance................................ seems some things just don't alter do they.

One thing I cannot agree with however is Whelan's almost fanatical doctrine about mounting the scope so low it is almost touching the action. Of course witht he scopes of the day this was not so much of a problem but with the scopes of toady with the enlarged Objective and Occular lenses his way of mounting just does not work.

A more modern book would be; 'The Art of the Rifle' by Jeff Cooper. This details field positions and the use of the 'ching-sling and 'CW sling'. These are field versions of the '3-point sling' that us old .22 prone target shooters are familiar with. IMO the use of the standard 'hasty-sling' is useless. On several occasions I have not bothered with the sticks and relied on the sling or tree rest.