Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kenneling my pup

kenneling my pup

As this is my first pup I would like to kennel her when I am at work,unfortunately on the first attempt she barked the whole time which was only an hour, does anybody have any great ideas or is it just perceverence . Neighbours will not be happy if she is barking all the time

I may be worng but I would hazzard a guess that she has just about unlimited access to you until you go to work so therefore she views being put in her kennel as either a punishment or a terrible separation from her pack (you).

Initially I get people to use cages. Put the dog in the cage in a place in your house where it can see people walking around but who do not pat her, stroke her etc. That way she is separated but does not have access to you even though you are there. This is great training for kenneling.

If you want to go straight to a kennel then I would put her in there when you are working out in the garden for a few hours so she can see you but not get to you. Its like seperation without seperation.

Give her things to chew in her kennel, thing for her to destroy and take her frustration out on. But it is making her confident to be seperate that is the key. She is just trying to call you back.

Hi Ian at present we put her in a puppy pen in the kitchen when we go to work ,my father visits to let her out twice a day and then puts her in her kennel at 3pm for 1 hour when I get in from work.Do you think we should stop the daily visits or cut them down to 1 visit so that she gets used to being alone all day,we could then start to do what you advise and work in the garden with her in the kennel at the weekends

no, I think you should get her used to not having access to you. Using pens, cages and kennels only when you go to work or go to bed is the kiss of death. It creates separation anxiety which is why dogs bark and howl to call you back.

Young pups like young children get bored easily and must learn through time to be quiet and patient in your absence. Dogs become very used to and adapt to there routine. It is up to you to create that routine. Taking the pup out in the morning, putting him in his cage for a while, back out during the day and caged in between. He will quickly learn to settle awaiting his next outing. Taking the dog out at random times only has him in a constant state of expectation. I would certainly continue with the two visits from your father and if he can manage at set times all the better to establish the routine.
    Whilst he is in his cage and you are present ignore any noise that he may make and only praise him for being quiet.

At the week end instead of the cage go for the kennel. As suggested give him a bone or toy to amuse himself and go out often just to let him know that he has not been abandoned but do not let him out till the time of his routine walk. Feeding him in his kennel also encourages him to see his kennel as his place.

My own pup stays in the house overnight, goes out for exercise and then kennelled till his next outing in the afternoon. I will eventually extend his kennel time till he is a kennel dog.

I have spoken to a mate up the road from me who kennels all his dogs,as he has just got a new springer pup, he is going to put mine in with his during the day while we are at work ,I will pick her up when I get in.Do you think this will help or will it just make her dependent on the other pup ?

It will make her dependant on the other pup? I have bought dogs off people that have been kenelled with other pups. It has been a nightmare to stop them barking again due the the seperation anxiethy its just that instead of pining for you, it pines for the other dog.

Get your dog independant then it does not matter if you put it in with another dog occasionally.

Depends on what you want from the dog. If he is just a pet this would probably work fine - a routine of going to your mates, playing and bonding with his pup, getting picked up at the end of the day. BUT if you want this dog to be a working animal bonded to you IMO do not under any circumstance do this. Putting him in with a pup at your mates will not get him used to being kennelled on his own and will make the task of training him and in fact your mates pup harder. I do not know how I can advice you further than my last post on what requires to be done with your pup. It takes commitment and time. IMO putting him up to your mates would just be a quick fix that would solve nothing long term.

Just looking a the threads above and some really good advice, any chance one of you guys can give me some advice on crate training as such , like what size of crate for a lab , how long to keep it in there and what age should the dog be introduced to the kennel. Also if the dog is being crate trained what affect does it have say to let the dog have the run of oarts of the house at times. Also when the dogs a pup what should the training regime be as such.

dogs are pack animals, they never ever live alone. So we have to condition them to living alone. If a wild dog is sperated from its pack it will call for the pack (howl,bark) and if that fails search franticly and then find a safe place to wait and listen. A wild dog will go under a tree root, in a small cave, under a bush etc. Out of harms way.

Similiarities can be seen in the way an unconditioned dog behaves when we leave it. It will howl, bark, run around looking for us and then if we are lucky when all elese fails it will get behind the sofa or under the table and hide.

A cage is really a portable hiding place for a dog. But if we make it a nice protable hiding place then that is better. I always say that anything a dog does in its cage is not a problem. So I never buy a 50 M&S dog bed for in there because I don't want to get wound up when it rips it up.

I have an adult cocker bitch that spends two thirds of her day in a 3x2x2 ft cage. I would suggest a lab goes one or two sizes bigger. The dog should just be able to lay on its side with the nose and its arse just short of either end.

Terriers are different. Terriers like even smaller spaces. I used to have a Welsh Terrier who had a wooden box reccomended by the breeder that was little more than a small rabbit hutch he used to squash himself into but he loved it.

The main rule is with cages that if you cannot show your dog 100% attention then put it in the cage. That way it does not get used only at night or when you go out. The cage becomes so normal the dog feels safe and secure in there.

If you foolw that your dog will be fine. If you have to leave your dog in there all day, makes sure it is well watered and has stuff to chew etc and if it messes or is sick in there, then you have to take the blame for that, not your dog.