tikka M595 .243

jamesbilling

alright guys,

I've been looking for a .243 for a few months now and am holding out for something decent at a decent price;

I've been offered a tikka 595 from my local shop with rings for about £450 but am sceptical as its in really good knick with optilocks but don't know much about the rifle, its not screw cut, so how much would thins cost me?

are they good rifles and is it worth going for?

all help appreciated

I had two 595 s and they are excellent rifles, for that price range I do not think you will get anything better.
As regards the screw cut I do not know about the price but it is worth going to a good gunsmith.I was recommended a gifted amateur the first time I had one cut and the barrel got shorter every attempt ?
Regards
Tony

They are superb rifles and that's a good price, especially with a set of Optilocks.

However, I would definitely ask for it to be bore scoped to check for throat erosion and heat-cracking - some .243s are run hot with light-for-calibre bullets going hell for leather. It may well still shoot brilliantly even with significant wear, but if it's your first rifle you'll want to know the barrel has plenty of life left in it.

If the barrel's ok, buy it. As above, despite the usual cries of 'I've got a mate who screw cut my rifle in his shed for £20 and a bag of turnips', I think it's well worth going to a reputable rifle smith who knows how cut a thread concentric to the centre of the bore, won't mark your new rifle and who will probably throw in a lovely 'invisible join' thread protector made from your own barrel stub. Expect to pay around £100 for the work and remember that your rifle will need re-proofing if you ever want to sell it.

A.

Last edited:
i don't think it has been used a lot by the looks of it. apparently it was from a shop that went bust and he bought it as stock and needs some space so said i can have it cheaper its up for £650 but he said hell take 450 for it or 150 with my AYA o/u in p/x

i don't think it has been used a lot by the looks of it. apparently it was from a shop that went bust and he bought it as stock and needs some space so said i can have it cheaper its up for £650 but he said hell take 450 for it or 150 with my AYA o/u in p/x

Buy it. I looked at 595 and T3 when i bought and opted for 595. I thought it felt more heavy duty, btr built. But thats just me. Have a feel, compare it with others and make your mind up.

Get it bore scoped if that will put your mind at rest but that really is sweeties for what is a decent rifle with rings that you will never really lose money on.

I would suspect that if its in as good nick as you say and hasn't been screwcut it probably hasn't done a great deal of work.

Last edited:
If the bore is ok buy it, my Tikka 590 is brill, albeit it was a 243 that is now a 6.5x47.............

ATB,

hh

PS - 590 same as 595 apart from slightly different (smaller) 'opening' on action - where the cases are ejected from

Buy it or it will soon go,cheap enough to rebarrel at that price and the action is a good donor for a custom job! Where,s the shop?:lol:

i too had the choice between the tikka 595 and t3 i picked the 595 best decision i made great rifle and at that price grab it

i say shop its just a gun dealer bloke i know who's good at a deal haha and no not yet haha will have to put a deposit down on it!

Easy ...... Just buy it ...... you will never regret it. Put a decent piece of glass in the Optilocks & Get some Remington 85 Gn rounds loaded with the Sierra Gamekings.... Good to go.

ATB

I luv my blued, synthetic .17Rem, bought secondhand....... didn't bother to get it bedded and only changed the bolt handle/knob to 'tart' it up.

Stuck an EGW rail on it (back to front for eye relief) so I can swap between the day 'scope and the Drone Pro NV..... Very accurate and drops foxes with 25grn Berger Varmints like sacks of spuds.

Fizz
:)

I have a stainless synthetic 595 in .243 and its superb!
Got it for similar money to what you are looking at, mine had only done 80 genuine shots by the original owner so was like new.

Now semi on the look out for a 695 for a future .284 project.

good luck, i dont think you'll regret buying it!

Joe

Buy it I have a .243 in stainless laminate cracking rifle used to use Lapua 100g through it used to clover but only use on foxes and other vermin so using 58g superformance

go on you know you want to :D

Back