Which scope mount is this?

Orion

I *think* these QD mounts may be by Steyr themselves as they were on my Model L when purchased new in 1990, can anyone confirm?

View attachment 51611View attachment 51612

Next question is does anyone have, or know were I might find, a pair of 30mm rings as pictured. I need to put another scope on it temporarily and am loathe to disturb what's already there.

Look like Apel swing offs.

I thought they might be at first but couldn't find any Apel product past or present that matched the 'pull back' knurled release levers on the rear mount. I've found my original owner's manual and it makes reference to "Original Steyr-Schwenkmontagen" which made me think it was their own manufacture.

They are Steyr factory mounts, which I have only seen on rifles from the late 1970s and early 1980s. They are a sort of an evolution of the claw mounts, with the rear pulling back to release, then you twist them off to release the front mount. I don't know who made them. In this same era, Steyr sold some rifles with the Buehler mounts, which had an easy twist on front ring, and the back swung in and locled with a screw, with some windage adjustment. I have set which removed from my Stery M and replaced with Warne bases and QD rings.

Yup - Steyr Mannlicher factory mounts - I had them on my 308 Steyer Mannlicher Stutzen of that vintage. Neat, strong, high quality product that returned to zero very well.
The only thing I don't like on them is the off centre ring split which makes for difficult exact scope centralization & can lead to crushed scope tubes if done wrongly.

Ian

Back