Mitsubishi L200 Advice

nun_hunter

I'm after some advice regarding a Mitsubishi L200 Warrior as I am going to have a look at one this weekend. I currently run a little Jimny but now that the wife and I want another kid I need to get something with more seats and room for the dog plus be useful to me for stalking. I don't need massive off road ability (the Jimny has been amazing but never used to it's potential) but I want the ability to take it lamping etc and have a 'dirty' section for the dog and any deer.

The one I'm going to look at is a double cab on a '53 plate and has low miles (under 40,000) and looks more like a pavement princess than an old builders heap, FSH and had the cam belt changed less than 15k ago. My budget is £4500 and this is currently within that. So what I want to know is what specific things should I look for.

Please don't tell me to buy a Hilux or something else as I am looking around but its pretty slim pickings within my budget so I would like specific advice on the L200 and things I really should look out for other than the usual second hand car bits.

Check out the power steering box , mine went yesterday on my 53 plate . Also springs are pretty crap but I had mine for 9 years and done 160000 so it died gracefully

Rear springs snap from new
Radiators clog up
Cylender head gaskets fail
Heads cant be skimmed
Rear brake drums fill with mud
DPF give trouble
Air con piping chaffe in P clips
Power steering racks fail
They are Jap
Gearboxes get clunky
You will resemble a traveller

There was an issue with the engine block castings '03, '53, '04, where a crack developed between the front main bearing area and the balance shaft (if I remember correctly). The result is a major loss of oil pressure and bearing crankshaft damage.The cure is a new short motor, nae cheap or quick fix.
I know they're good hardy motors, but to be honest I'd try and go for something a little newer, say '05 onwards.

I did exactly the same two years ago. I sold my Jimny and bought a L200 Warrior 2010 reg with 46K miles. I have had to replace the power steering rack owing to leaks that could not be fixed with a seals kit. There is a huge difference in the two vehicle as you will appreciate, however I still miss my Jimny and don't rule out having another.
Loads of room in the Warrior and well appointed inside. The back is excellent for dogs, deer etc. so there is no cause for complaint from wife and kids. I get 31mpg from mine.
Make sure you have the spare wheel and the tools to access it and that the winder mechanism is not rusted solid. An interior light in the truck part is very welcome when out in the dark too. Mine doesn't work so I have fitted an led one that runs off batteries.
Also think carefully about tyres as the vehicle is rather heavy and will get stuck if not properly shod. I still have the little-worn Bridgestone Duellers fitted, which were only a few months old when I bought it. They are good on the road but only marginally better than useless in the mud. Good luck with your purchase but I bet you will miss your Jimny.

Rear springs snap from new
Radiators clog up
Cylender head gaskets fail
Heads cant be skimmed
Rear brake drums fill with mud
DPF give trouble
Air con piping chaffe in P clips
Power steering racks fail
They are Jap
Gearboxes get clunky
You will resemble a traveller

This is my biggest concern!

I did exactly the same two years ago. I sold my Jimny and bought a L200 Warrior 2010 reg with 46K miles. I have had to replace the power steering rack owing to leaks that could not be fixed with a seals kit. There is a huge difference in the two vehicle as you will appreciate, however I still miss my Jimny and don't rule out having another.
Loads of room in the Warrior and well appointed inside. The back is excellent for dogs, deer etc. so there is no cause for complaint from wife and kids. I get 31mpg from mine.
Make sure you have the spare wheel and the tools to access it and that the winder mechanism is not rusted solid. An interior light in the truck part is very welcome when out in the dark too. Mine doesn't work so I have fitted an led one that runs off batteries.
Also think carefully about tyres as the vehicle is rather heavy and will get stuck if not properly shod. I still have the little-worn Bridgestone Duellers fitted, which were only a few months old when I bought it. They are good on the road but only marginally better than useless in the mud. Good luck with your purchase but I bet you will miss your Jimny.

I know and if I could afford both then I would love to keep it as it is such a good clean example with just enough mods to be perfect for me without being too off road orientated. Plus its been 100% reliable so I am loath to get rid of it for something that may not be as reliable.

Although I do read the reviews and check out the horror stories there will always be more people complaining than praising, just have to read the numerous and frequent Land Rover threads yet I seem to see more older L200's on the road than any other pick-up and still lots of LRs driving abvout

If you like it take it for test drive, test everything. Ask if the bottom pulley has been changed, these can delaminate and fail causing a big bill. Don't be put off it hasn't been changed, you can get it done. You can also blank off and remove the EGR, £10 for the kit from eBay. Let's the engine run cooler and gives you slightly better acceleration. They are good trucks , nice to drive on the road and with the right tyres very capable off road. Take a look at the owners forum on the net, loads of reviews and info there
Al

On a plus I've a 53plate 11400 on the clock now no problems ,they're thirsty but Mines been reliable and to be honest in good nick for her age but not worth more than 3k should she go bang now I'd scrap her but probably I'll run her into the ground as I know her and well what would I get for 3k not a lot so for now I'll stick with my faithful L200 had her 5 yrs arhhhh :lol:
Norma

Just buy it. They are superb motors.

If you look , you will find horror stories about every single 4x4 on the market.

My old Pajero lasted 7 yrs hard work before I sold it, and 5yrs later it`s still working.

Went through 4 motors (2 landrovers) before seeing sense and buying a 59 plate L200 crewcab. Should have done it straight away.

in my limited 4x4 experience i would say go isuzu and save on the repair bills.my father in law and brother in law had em and theyre bomb/idiot proof .too much has been written about blown this and cracked that with l200,,s.3 peeps at work had em.then 1 went vauxhall ,2 went landrover pdq.

Well thanks for all the input so far guys. I'm gonna see if I can go and have a look at it this weekend and will bring a check list of all major issues to look at and will get a feel for it as to whether it seems a good buy or not. On paper it seems like a much cared for pavement princess but it could still be a real pup so I'll keep my wits about me.

Back