Light recoil calibres.

Boarboy

Due to a shoulder tendon problem I'm steering towards light recoiling cartridges. I now have a 6.5 x 55, but was wondering what others thought to be some of the lighter recoiling calibres that still throw out a 100gr+ bullet? Would a 25-06 be less or similar recoil to 6.5 x 55? Never shot one.

I'd say .25-06 is between .243Win. & 6.5x55....but it also depends on the weight of the rifle/scope. You'd just have to have a go & see for yourself. ATB

I would tend to a 243 in that case. Important would also be the vertical COG position to reduce muzzle flip, higher mounted heavy scope can have benefits.
We also had reports that even a lighter weight stock made of carbon seemed to have less recoil compared to a heavier stock of glass or wood.
Adding weights in the right place internally to a stock can of course also help.
A soft recoil pad won't be a mistake either.
edi

6.5x55 is a very mild cartridge in terms of recoil. The 25-06 and indeed the 243 in a light rifle tend to be pretty snappy rather than a push. With the 6.5 keep the velocity low - you might find a heavier bullet at lower velocity has less felt recoil. With shoulder tendons, key is to get some good physio advice and do the exercises - much less bother than the bother of changing calibre. After doing lots of exercises my shoulder has settled down and it cost £60 in physio fees. . Far more damaging than recoil will be dragging and lugging deer.

Last edited:
get a rifle that fits rather than one that looks good on paper

felt recoil is subjective

by far the best way to avoid felt recoil is proper length of pull, weight and stock shape (cheek weld)

I had a .243 that used to kick lumps out of me!

6.5x55 is a very mild cartridge in terms of recoil. The 25-06 and indeed the 243 in a light rifle tend to be pretty snappy rather than a push. With the 6.5 keep the velocity low - you might find a heavier bullet at lower velocity has less felt recoil. With shoulder tendons, key is to get some good physio advice and do the exercises - much less bother than the bother of changing calibre. After doing lots of exercises my shoulder has settled down and it cost £60 in physio fees. . Far more damaging than recoil will be dragging and lugging deer.

Yes, I've only tried the 6.5 with the 120grs so far, and not the 140s, so will be interesting to see how they feel. Thanks.

do you or can you reload? If so, then just make lighter loads - they don't have to go break neck speed for range most shoot at. Job done.
Cheers
Hayden

Due to a shoulder tendon problem I'm steering towards light recoiling cartridges. I now have a 6.5 x 55, but was wondering what others thought to be some of the lighter recoiling calibres that still throw out a 100gr+ bullet? Would a 25-06 be less or similar recoil to 6.5 x 55? Never shot one.
.257r with moderator, 85g through 120g, alternatively .243 with long throat and twist to take up to 115g pills

I shoot a .257 Roberts in a large, full-size M700, and a .250-3000 Savage, also full size. They are both very mild in recoil and in muzzle blast, especially when I shoot normal, traditional loads in them.

But you can load a 6.5x55mm to be the same. With a 120-gr bullet at 2,650 fps, it will have little recoil and still knock deer over, and plenty flat shooting out to 200 yards.

Buy a PAST recoil pad to slip over your shirt, or over your T-shirt and under your shirt. It is thin, stiff, padded, and distributes the recoil over a much larger area.

boarboy, of you would like me to build you a mauser 98 based rifle to suit, then do please pm me

Back