Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing with badly shot deer

Dealing with badly shot deer

Well, maybe not badly shot but badly shot from the perspective of using the meat and completing a clean gralloch. I did the DSC 1 and so on and all shots are side on at 100 yards but now I've got some stalking of my own it has come as no shock to discover that not all animals stand side on and if I'm going to shoot something then at some point I'm going to have to risk that quartering shot.

So, if the shot goes in behind the front leg and exits just ahead of the rear leg bursting the stomach badly how do you deal with the gralloch, or do you just write the animal off as a total loss? If you open the deer and find that half the stomach contents are hanging about in the cavity and maybe some sucked into the chest as well (can that happen?) is there any way to recover some of the meat?

Recently I passed up a shot on a HUGE sika stag who was standing facing away from me. Now in truth he was too good to shoot for the freezer which is my only real interest but it was also the case that any shot was going to destroy the stomach on the way in and I've no idea what I'd have done with the carcase at that point, I'd guess all the internal cavities would pretty much have been painted green. So, I'm interested in any information I can get to have me better prepared.

Well if your going by the letter of the best practice guides, a burst stomach in almost all circumstances is a write-off. Having said that you can understand why people practice and practice for those shots which require more skill and take a head/neck shot. I also know that some people l have shot with have split stomach’s and then gone on to grollach quickly and cut the animal in half nearly to cut away any tainted meat and kept for example the haunches only. I have known friends to take out clients on Big fallow Bucks and sat and watched people gut shot them and then they've had to cut the head off - when found and get rid of the carcass.

Personally l wouldn't keep anything l have split the guts on - l value my family’s health more than the cost of a bullet!

I know what the current orthodoxy is, but just out of interest are there any authenticated cases of anyone coming to harm from eating venison from 'badly-shot' deer? Clearly such cases would be from the 'bad old days' when one worried about it less, but I do wonder....
    Last edited by Dalua; 17-03-2010 at 22:47.

Your right would be interestin to know any confirmed E-Coli cases as a result -

Strictly speaking if the gut is burst the animal must not be allowed to enter the food chain ie. sold.
    Nothing to stop you using it for your own consumption. Ideally remove any salvageable meat as soon as possible as even if you manage to clean up the carcase and hang it you usually find that it goes off within a couple of days.

However much it pains me to rain on the orthodoxy parade but I have eaten plenty of 'contaminated' green splattered venison and I'm still upright. I have also read that various indigenous people use ruminant's stomach contents as food for sick folk. I am clearly a bit dim on scientific matters as I fail to see how passing some chewed up brambles and grass through the alimentary canal of a large cervid suddenly turns it into a toxic substance.

Were these requirements introduced following a case or cases of members of the public becoming ill through eating venison from gut-shot deer, though?

I have had two cases of this,one a poor shot on my part (in that it was a clean kill, but went through the stomach) the other a text book side on, two inches back from the shoulder, third of the way up the chest and the bullet for some reason went through the ribs and did a sharp right turn down the body bursting the stomach on its way.

On one I removed the haunches, front legs and head, the other I flushed with clean water , dried and took back home and hung it as usual. Both tasted fine.

Eaten 'contaminated' beasts and not been affected. Eaten some well-run rutting stag (was hungry and all there was) and been sick at both ends . If the beast is for me I just cut way the 'slimed' bits and crack on.

I worked on one estate where the laird would insist that all roadkill beasts, even well gone ones, were kept for the big house kitchen. We always used to ask new guests how they found the previous night's supper and have loo roll handy on the hill .

Contaminated? I just give 'em a rinse out and trim anything manky looking.

If its been left overnight or split the bowels that's different, but even then I'd aim to save the haunches.