Boots

Hw60sniper

Right guys after a new pair of boots for shooting/stalking etc. must keep feet warm and dry . My current pair are doing neither now anyone got some recommendations?

The mil surplus Haix or Altbergs are worth a look - could save you enough cash for a day or two at deer.

I got mine (Haix) here but they don't seem to have any stock at present as I'd bet demand was pretty high, although they claimed to be "grade 1" the ones I got were brand new and a mate had the same experience:

Footwear - British Military Surplus

The Haix are goretex lined and mine are certainly waterproof, I don't think Altberg favour goretex type linings but would expect them to be waterproof in most normal use.

As well as the surplus Haix I have 6 other pairs of boots. The Haix took a little while to break in for me, but higher leg boots always do with me and my Doovres were the same, but apart from that I'd recommend them and would say they compare well with all the other pairs I have including the Doovre Extreme Plus and also my favoured Scarpa SL 3/4 season hill boots.

Ditto from swillingtons had mine a good few months now and feel they are a great boot. I would never buy Mendel again

Just got back from hinds in the most disgusting conditions. Army surplus extreme cold weather boots at a price of tuppence ha'penny for an issued pair worked very well. Will buy another pair, one for up there one for here. Buy a good insole for them.

Just got a pair of Harkilla boots from the Mrs absolutely brilliant, zip up the back so no laces to worry about,
warm dry and very comfy
cheers
Ray

Altbergs for me. Had a pair of field and fell for 15 years still warm and waterproof. Keep them well protected with the ledergris supplied with boots and they're soft and waterproof. They last really well and can be refurbished at the factory.I think they supply to MOD with cold weather boots if you really feel the cold.
Regards Rob.

Altbergs had mine 13 years worn nearly every day love them and now they do brown, just treated myself to a second pair in brown

Same here. Cheap as chips and really very good.....if you can live with black.

Just got back from hinds in the most disgusting conditions. Army surplus extreme cold weather boots at a price of tuppence ha'penny for an issued pair worked very well. Will buy another pair, one for up there one for here. Buy a good insole for them.

My blackislanders are still doing well. Worth a look. They were comfy straight out the box. No need for treating leather either which is a bonus if you are using them every day and the leather is not getting a chance to dry. Slightly cheaper than le chameau, meindl, harkila etc.

I have had a pair of Meindl's for 8 years. Used about 30 days a year but well looked after. Still waterproof today. They are a bit more expensive but they were comfortable out of the box and I think have done really well. Will be buying again.

Le chameau mouflon plus if you can still get them the new Arran plus FTC are crap toe caps wear down to leather straight away leaving boots looking crap

Im down south working just now but hopefully get back home tonight all going well today and will be able to get on the net and look some of these up . Cheers guys .

Have a pair of Reichle Mountain GTX but the new ones now by Mammut dont seem to be the same boot. Just tried on a pair of Altberg Tethera's and those are going to be my next boots. With gaiters they will do me.

Nobody I know serving would willingly wear Haix (issue boots) again, but are forced to as brown boots have a supply problem. Meindl boots are excellent and was my boot of choice until I visited the Altberg factory, got fitted and spent the money. Easily the best fitting boots Ive ever owned. I have no blisters, no hotspots, no twinges and they havent needed breaking in as per usual method of neatsfoot oil etc.

If I were ever going to buy second hand or suplus, if money was very tight, Id look at surplus German army Lowas usually obtainable for about £50. From my experience, all good makes are similar quality - but on different lasts so will fit different people's feet therefore find the brand that fits you well.

Back