Correct Descrption/Terminology

If people get language or word meaning wrong they will never learn if they are not corrected.
When corrected they should be thankful for the help provided - not all upset. - Maybe the problem is pride - some people hate being corrected & this is amplified when they think all the world is watching online.
Proper language results in accurate communication. Bad use of language can result in dangerous errors as previously mentioned.
I really get p**d off trying to understand things written with bad grammar, poor punctuation, incorrect spelling & the wrong words being used as well as too much use of "TXT" language as often seen on sms messages. & finally folks - please read what you have written - you may see errors that can easily be put right before pressing the "send" button.

Rant just beginning!!!

Yes I am a grumpy ols sod & I know it! -- especially today as my water supply to the house has frozen way up the hill & I'm having to collect water in buckets from the stream!

Ian

well I'm afraid I'm a little more tolerant than most others on this thread and believe in encouraging all comers to our sport. not having the benefit of the best education I do my best with spelling and grammar etc which is maybe why I try to overlook others mistakes rather than belittle them on a public forum , if I really felt I had to correct something I would do it by PM personally but I don't feel the need to big myself up by belittling others ?

you all carry on with your personal campaigns (with the best of intentions I'm sure) but please give it some thought before you let loose on someone who may be just starting and won't take much to be driven away ?

you all mostly know what people are talking about because you've been at it quite a while why not try helping them with their actual problem by using your vast knowledge of firearms instead of diverting the thread into a lecture about their education and then being belligerent about it ?

chill pill anyone ?

:doh:
no wonder people are put off shooting sports :cry:

we are our own worst enemies and will only have ourselves to blame for the lack of new blood and the sport dying out :doh:

Yes and we should be polite and welcoming to newcomers on the forum....that doesn't always happen does it? :)

Newcomers to any sport or hobby should take the time to learn the correct terminology.
The problem is, what Is the correct terminology from the newcomers point of view?.
As has been pointed out, some rfd's are using what others know to be an incorrect term.

At least no-one so far has pointed out the other old chestnut that "language is a living thing"
Oops
:doh:

Better get used to it guys, language is always changing, heads is fast becoming the accepted term, go into any gun shop up here and ask for 100 bullets and you will be handed a 100 rounds of factory ammunition

I don't have a problem with the use of heads, what does get my goat is rimmy and shotty
Then of course there is permission now that really boils my p@@s no such blxxdy thing.:old:

I don't mind incorrect terminology. It helps to sort out who you are talking to and whether or not they may be a bull talker.
Just the other day I was speaking to a guy who said he used to shoot targets with an SLR at 1 mile. I just listened but the rest of the conversation was taken with a pinch of salt.

I was always led to believe the bullet was the thing that flies out the muzzle end of your barrel, but as bogtrotter says unless you start by saying to your friendly RFD "I am re-loading say 9mm and I need a box of 124 grain bullets", you are more than likely going to get a box of 50 rounds of ammo.

I don't mind incorrect terminology. It helps to sort out who you are talking to and whether or not they may be a bull talker.
Just the other day I was speaking to a guy who said he used to shoot targets with an SLR at 1 mile. I just listened but the rest of the conversation was taken with a pinch of salt.

whats wrong with that? personally I cant see the point in shooting at a mountain with an SLR though ?

I personally have never found that a range finder was essential, maybe I was wrong think you should have suggested he got one:rofl:

Hi All
I am going to start home loading, don't want to upset anyone when I'm going to ask for information, so what is the correct names for all parts that I will be putting together?
Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
Hi All
I am going to start home loading, don't want to upset anyone when I'm going to ask for information, so what is the correct names for all parts that I will be putting together?
Thanks
Jim

Do you not mean the “arrangements” you are to put in place??

Welcome to the testosterone-charged world of home loading!

K
:D

If people get language or word meaning wrong they will never learn if they are not corrected.
When corrected they should be thankful for the help provided - not all upset. - Maybe the problem is pride - some people hate being corrected & this is amplified when they think all the world is watching online.
Proper language results in accurate communication. Bad use of language can result in dangerous errors as previously mentioned.
I really get p**d off trying to understand things written with bad grammar, poor punctuation, incorrect spelling & the wrong words being used as well as too much use of "TXT" language as often seen on sms messages. & finally folks - please read what you have written - you may see errors that can easily be put right before pressing the "send" button.

Rant just beginning!!!

Yes I am a grumpy ols sod & I know it! -- especially today as my water supply to the house has frozen way up the hill & I'm having to collect water in buckets from the stream!

Ian

maybe spell check needed, lol.
Don't worry you didn't upset me with you're miss-spelling, in fact it brightened my day!

Hi All
Thanks
Jim

Well, don't ask for heads, or someone might suggest a stomach pump.

Sharkey

Hi All
Thanks
Jim
Jim. If you need some advice then you will certainly get it on here. Take no notice of whether you have the correct terminology as we will surely know what you mean and give whatever help and support we can. Good luck and enjoy your reloading (or home-loading, ammunition manufacturing etc. :thumb:).

Hi Bogtrotter, I am right beside you with the "permission" one. Thought it strange when I first saw it . Then it seemed to get more common. Down South that is. I cringed everytime I saw it on posts. But now I see some that I know up here using it as if it is the trendy thing to say!!!!!!!!!!! Hope your keeping fine. John

Hi Bogtrotter, I am right beside you with the "permission" one. Thought it strange when I first saw it . Then it seemed to get more common. Down South that is. I cringed everytime I saw it on posts. But now I see some that I know up here using it as if it is the trendy thing to say!!!!!!!!!!! Hope your keeping fine. John

Ok I might regret this but... what is wrong with permission and in what context are you against it?

I've just had a look back and it seems with one or two exceptions its mostly scots that seem to be upset by this (and an aussie who's probably descended from Scottish blood) us southerner's are far more easy going !

and to be honest the scots and aussies aren't renowned for their excellent use of our lovely queens English are they ,ya ken?

:rofl:

I always refer to 'heads' as 'projectiles', expanding or non-expanding 'missiles' or 'bullets'.

Assembled components are 'rounds', or 'cartridges'.

The brass is the 'case', or 'cartridge case'.

So.......a live 'round' or 'cartridge' will consist of a 'case' or 'cartridge case', primed and charged, and fitted with any of the following.....a 'non-expanding missile', an 'expanding missile', 'projectile' or 'bullet.'

And given that my FAC is open, I can fire these at all legal quarry on any permission I have permission to shoot over :D

I've just had a look back and it seems with one or two exceptions its mostly scots that seem to be upset by this (and an aussie who's probably descended from Scottish blood) us southerner's are far more easy going !

and to be honest the scots and aussies aren't renowned for their excellent use of our lovely queens English are they ,ya ken?

Speaking as one of the two exceptions to which tackb refers, it doesn't bother me.

As Teyhan say's, it helps to determine wheraboots :))) someone is in the spectrum of knowledge which they are expounding upon.

ye ken, is very much a an eastern-central Scotland expression actually, not used widely elsewhere in Scotland.

I'm sure you are familiar with the many English dialects, as well as the *******ization of the English language by the English "upper class". :doh:

I'm not upset by the topic, I just stick a bullet in my rifle and shoot, not that fussed what anyone wants to call either component. ;)

Back