Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako A1 rebarrel or sell ?

Sako A1 rebarrel or sell ?

I have a Sako A1 in .222 that was made in around 1995.

I think it is due for a rebarrel, but I am considering selling it instead but have no idea what sort of price to advertise for ?

The rifle is not perfect but it has a nice looking stock and the metal work is good with the usual barrel ring where the over barrel moderator has marked it. I will putup some pictures when I get a chance.

Can anyone suggest a ball park that it might provoke interest as a donor rifle / action ?

Cheers & ATVB

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

I looked at a nice one in the autumn that still had plenty of life left in it.

Not screw cut, and came with an 8x56 S&B scope. He was selling for 750.

I would add that, short of very chronic neglect (on the order of consistently leaving it wet), I find it almost impossible to believe you can 'shoot out' a .222.
    Last edited by Mungo; 19-01-2015 at 22:42.

I paid 325 for my donor A1 .222 in March 2013... it had a very slim barrel on it that was just too slim to screwcut, had obviously had a bit of use but no abuse.

The stock was in good condition and the rifle came up really nice with a bluing job and a .20Practical Pacnor barrel on it. Lovely.

Keep it and give it a new lease of life.... these little Sako actions are classics, mine's now sitting in a McMillan stock to keep the original stock in good nick.

Seen here on tour....

Last edited by fizzbangwhallop; 20-01-2015 at 00:04.

I agree with Mungo, a .222Rem will shoot many thousands of rounds before needing attention. Then a barrel and chamber dock will restore it to good health. My .222 Rimmed has seen 5 possibly 6 thousand rounds at near .223 velocities (due to a chamber mod). It has been cropped once and still shoots sub MOA (.65) consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I would add that, short of very chronic neglect (on the order of consistently leaving it wet), I find it almost impossible to believe you can 'shoot out' a .222.
    I've shot one out but that really was the exception rather than the rule as I shot an awful lot of rounds through mine mainly on the range. (at a guess about 14,000 rounds over 16 years). Before you think about re-barreling give it a real good clean with copper cleaner and get a real gunsmith to bore scope the barrel.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks for all your replies chaps.

I will give it a good clean and go and see James at Jager to see if he can look it over. I had already asked him about a re-barrel and so maybe it is just the crown ?

It do look after it, always wiped over and dried before putting away with mod removed. It does get a lot of use and in the past I have shot 25 to 30 rounds three timers a week on the bunnies, foxes and the odd Muntjac.

Cheers & ATVB

I gave the rifle a good clean last night and to my untrained eye the bore looks to be ok. But
    would some of you more learned and experienced people take a look at the photo attachment
    of the crown and give your opinion on the condition and the marks at 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock and
    6 o'clock and whether these would produce the erratic results from a previously very accurate
    and consistent rifle.

Thank you and best regards

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A1 crown .jpg  

Disregarding the muzzle pitting mentioned and shown in the photograph my personal strictly amateur opinion would be that the crown doesn't look too good does it. Get a real gunsmith to have a look at it and to run a bore scope up the barrel also so that they can give you a proper professional opinion of its condition.

I'm sure that you are now going to get dozens of other amateur opinions expressing concern that is terrible and needs to be scrapped but a true gunsmith should give you a honest opinion and a simple crown job may be all that is required.

p.s. Is it possible that the moderator had been left on this rifle for some time and not removed after use?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Jager +sako A1.222=eternal happiness!