Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windy weather

Windy weather

Hi all,
    I'm off to scotland in the morning to have a few days roe stalking.
    Looking at the weather forcast, it is likely to be windy with chances of snow.
    This is the first time i've stalked in heavy wind and i was wondering if any of you had any advice on the behavior of roe in heavy wind.
    Are they likely to stay in cover?

They don't like the wind!

I was hoping that there would be more wind here today so i could try my 6.5x55 in the wind. but typicaly its dead calm.

Wind seems to make most deer very skittish & nervous if they're in the open. Look for them in sheltered areas where they feel more secure.

Hi, ezzy6.5.

Good luck with your stalking over the next few days.

Here`s a tip, stalk on the leigh, (i think that`s how you spell it) side of the forest, as this is where you are likey to find any roe taking cover from the wind, and if there are sunny patches there aswell, then that will help as roe deer love to feed with the sun on their backs.

Good luck

Cold and wind not bad, wind and rain, generally not good. Waddas has given you the right advice, especially if its been blowing and raining all night long and the day before. They will be hungry and will need to move out to graze as the light comes up, but look for the sheltered areas where you would feel safe and out of the weather, and thats in general where you will find the deer.

Good luck.

Thanks guys,
    That sounds like great advice,it all makes good sense.
    i'm not looking at the weather any more, it's changed about 3 times so far today. Whatever it does i wont be at work so i'll be happy. We leave at 8:00 in the morning and i'm starting to feal like a kid on christmas eve.
    Thanks again, Ezzy.

good luck ezzy,hope you have a great time look forward to seeing the photos,

hi ezzy
    if you are stalking by yourself then wadasot has given you a headstart on attaining a beast for the freezer, if you are out with a stalker then no matter what the weather that stalker , if he knows his stuff and ground will either show you deer or let you know from the start if things are good or bad but roe do not like bad weather and there is nothing your stalker can do about that
    good luck and successes on your trip