Thread: Homemade pastes/licks

Homemade pastes/licks

Hi was wondering if anyone had any good recipes they want to share for making salt licks or pastes. And what are peoples views on their effectiveness

Im about to try molasses blocks and see if they work. I have tried the salt blocks without much success. Its for roe and they seem to be pretty selective.
    Here,s my recipe:

2 loaves stale bread
    13 x 9 inch pan
    12 oz. jar molasses
    12 oz. jar honey
    1 cups dry corn kernels
    Mixing bowl
    Wooden spoon
    1. Step 1
    Use stale bread to create the deer food. Crumble the bread into small pieces. Fill the pan completely with the crumbled bread.
    2. Step 2
    Mix the molasses and honey together in a mixing bowl. Pour the mixture into the pan over the bread. Combine the mixture and the bread with a wooden spoon to create a mushy texture.
    3. Step 3
    Add dry corn kernels to the mixture. Stir the kernels until they appear distributed evenly in the pan.
    4. Step 4
    Set the deer food still inside the pan outside in the sun to dry. This allows the deer food to form into a large block.
    5. Step 5
    Place the homemade deer food block in the oven at 200 degrees. Let the deer food cure in the baking pan in the oven for 2 hours.
    6. Step 6
    Allow the deer food block to cool. Remove the deer food from the pan

Sorry - Mines a secret, Kith and kin and all that.

"Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Over the last couple of years I have had numerous roe using 2 ounces of cooking salt with 3 or 4 drops of aniseed in a yoghurt pot, or muller rice.

I just empty it along a hedgeside or near a tree and let the breeze tell the deer where it is. Rain soon makes it vanish though the scent lingers.

This has been more of a draw than my attempts at calling.

If you push a short length of broom handle into mix before you bake it you then have a hole in your block and you can tie it a couple of feet up a tree trunk

Hi Brian
    Thats what i do. Then just put a rope through and hang it in a post or tree