Thread: Easier access to The Stalking Directory?

Easier access to The Stalking Directory?

JAYB Have you thought about using some kind of open id as per below:

Many of us have many sign-ons and it would be good to take steps to keep these to a minimum?

Regards JCS

Well, the short answer is no. I have never heard of this before and you are the only person who has mentioned it.

At this moment in time there is no plan to implement such a system, Alex has made no mention of it to us and he is our yardstick for such things.

If you check the "remember me" box will that not solve your problem.

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Single sign-on is the way forward and the approach above is a small step along the road. At work we use 'Global Pass' and get access to hundreds of sites. OpenId is one attempt to do the same for the general public. I don't recommend ever selecting 'remember me' on any site. Site security is like stalking, it never stands still and requires to be worked on all the time. At work we pay people to kick sites and check their security out on a regular basis. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Do you use

or a similar tool?

Regards John
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 19-03-2010 at 16:48.

I think it's a case of chicken and egg with these 'Open ID' schemes. They are only really useful once there is a single industry leader and all the sites adopt it. Microsoft has been pushing Live ID (formerly Passport) for years whilst Google is simply buying everything and assimilating their ID's and yet neither scheme has become adopted outside their own empires.

Out of all the forums that I visit I don't know a single one which makes use of such a system. A few use the centralised profile 'Zoints' system, but none have entrusted authentication to a third party.

In fact you are the first person I remember seeing even suggest it!

Until there comes a time when an industry standard scheme becomes established and is becoming adopted by a significant number of forums I don't think it will be of much practical use to the average Stalking Directory member.

Not a particularly 'bleeding edge' reply I know, but if it's not going to immediately make our members' lives easier then what's the point?

What he said, took the words right out of my mouth

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses