Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with a stalking question...or three

Help with a stalking question...or three

Dear all,

I have a couple of (three) questions for the Forum, any help gratefully received...

1. is it legal to use a recording to lure deer to enable it to be culled? I believe the answer is no it is illegal, but I could do with some clarification.
    2. what does the term 'going back' mean? I believe this term refers to the antlers of older beasts growing back and therefore the beast being past its prime.
    3. what does the term 'to register' mean? I am stumped...

I'm sitting some hunting examinations and the answer to these three questions are getting the better of me for the moment.

Many thanks.

1. It is illegal to use electronic calls to lure in and shoot deer. It is NOT illegal to use calls, such as a buttalo or mouth calls to lure deer in and shoot them.

2. Going back is a term used to describe an older beast, usually a Stag or Buck that has reached his peak in antler growth a year or two before, and is now producing a much less quality head and is past his best and is therefore as a rule a prime beast to be culled.

3. Register, in what context are you asking? Is this to register for the course? or register you have noticed a beast? I cant answer this one I am afraid without more input from you.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

Best post an introduction too..
    atb steve

Thank you Sikamalc, much appreciated. With regards to my question 3), unfortunately I have no context whatsoever other than 'what does the term 'to register' mean?'. I've tried all the forums, hunting websites, google and a vast number of stalking books...but alas I am stumped.

'To register' can mean many different things if used in different ways.

if you are able to show is an example of a sentence where 'to register' has been used it will be much easier to answer your question.

Come on people While it would be convenient to have a register of all the deer on your ground I suspect this is what is required.

Look closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hearles View Post
    ..... what does the term 'to register' mean? I am stumped...
    Why don't you go back to your training provider with these queries? Regards JCS

Thank you one and all. I appreciate your time. I have now have answers I have been looking for.

What was the answer to No#3?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    What was the answer to No#3?
    Wingers243 has very kindly 'hinted' that I should be looking in the direction of registering deer vis--vis Government rules on keeping farmed animals. Makes sense. So now I'm reading the DEFRA guidance on Deer Farming: health and welfare.

Thank you much one and all for your help. Very kind.