Winchester Mod 70. FN Version

Kalahari

Has anybody on here had any experience on the latest FN built and quality controlled Model 70 with Controlled Round Feed? I know there is a fair bit of stuff on here about them but I am not always sure which version is being discussed.

Many thanks,

David.

Has anybody on here had any experience on the latest FN built and quality controlled Model 70 with Controlled Round Feed? I know there is a fair bit of stuff on here about them but I am not always sure which version is being discussed.

Many thanks,

David.

See my thoughts here: which action for 6.5-284

Hard to do better in a non-custom M98 rifle and in a 'Super Grade' you are pretty much getting a semi-custom rifle for 1/2 or even 1/4 the cost of a Sako, Blaser, Sauer, Cooper, Dakota, etc.

The most recent FN M70s are perfect fit n' finish, just like the most recent 1894s, 1886s, etc.--better than they have ever been incl. pre-64 manufacturing.

I'm not really a fan of these new custom push feed actions for a field rifle. Some of them are fine, but like Southern stated in the above thread, why when you could purchase a brand new M70 basic model for the donor action and still come out ahead?

Of course, the Mauser 98 action (incl. the M70) is yet to be improved upon. Most bolt actions since have been in an effort to reduce manufacturing costs. Some will argue against the M98, and that's fine, but it is never in relation to what is wrong with the action, but rather why the 700 or 85 is perfectly adequate. Adequate? yes. Better? no.

Last edited:
Got a new Model 70 Classic Hunter in 270 WSM arriving from the factory in May, will let you know then. I'm a big Model 70 fan, looking forward to receiving this rifle very much. Everything I've read about them (a lot) suggests they are better now than they've ever been. Unfortunately the Super Grade isn't available to European buyers and the choice of calibers is also limited, which is a pity.

I bought a new M70 Featherweight .308 for my son's college graduation. It is so nicely put together, and shoots better than any of the older ones. It is FN built, in the same factory which produces the M16 from time to time, the M2 Browning .50 caliber, and the M-240 and M-241, etc machineguns. Right now, some of that machinery may go to Belgium.

I also have a pre-FN M70 Compact with CRF, which is also very high quality, and shoots very well with all kinds of loads. I have owned three pre-64 Safari and Express rifles in .375 H&H, and one post-64, FN built Express, which was better than all of them. I probably should not have sold it, but I wanted a little more drop on the stock for iron sights. It was perfect with a 1.25-4x24 scope.

I have owned a pre-64 M70 Ultra Grade in .270 Win, purely trade goods. Gorgeous.

Right now, Winchester is producing limited runs. The current one is a retro-stocked 7x57, for Cabelas.

Their Custom Shop M70s are really nice, and a second-hand one is reasonable luxury.

[h=3]Winchester Model 70 Super Grade Featherweight ... - Cabela's[/h]www.cabelas.com/product/Winchester-Model.../1787195.uts

Last edited:

Many thanks,

David.

I'm a fan of the Winchester pre 64 action & rifles built on them. The rifles currently being produced are better than any made before IMO.

That 7x57 being made for Cabelas looks the goods. If it was stamped 275 Rigby instead I seriously look at importing one down here.

Sharkey

I bought a new M70 Featherweight .308 for my son's college graduation. It is so nicely put together, and shoots better than any of the older ones. It is FN built, in the same factory which produces the M16 from time to time, the M2 Browning .50 caliber, and the M-240 and M-241, etc machineguns. Right now, some of that machinery may go to Belgium.

I also have a pre-FN M70 Compact with CRF, which is also very high quality, and shoots very well with all kinds of loads. I have owned three pre-64 Safari and Express rifles in .375 H&H, and one post-64, FN built Express, which was better than all of them. I probably should not have sold it, but I wanted a little more drop on the stock for iron sights. It was perfect with a 1.25-4x24 scope.

I have owned a pre-64 M70 Ultra Grade in .270 Win, purely trade goods. Gorgeous.

Right now, Winchester is producing limited runs. The current one is a retro-stocked 7x57, for Cabelas.

Their Custom Shop M70s are really nice, and a second-hand one is reasonable luxury.

Winchester Model 70 Super Grade Featherweight ... - Cabela's

www.cabelas.com/product/Winchester-Model.../1787195.uts

That is a beautiful rifle, and the for end is perfect.

I do like the super grade maple quite a lot. Which is odd as I generally dislike light stocks.

As has been said, hell of a donor at a good price, even this side of the pond

My son's M70 Fwt is almost as nice as this, and if you are going to take it apart for a donor, it is $999, rather than $1,499. I paid $500, for a barely used rifle.

I just found a pre-64 Supergrade, .338 Win Mag, new in the box, for $700.00. Don't need it, don't want it, but might not let it go. My point is, you could find a long action Supergrade, which has the bigger stock and 24-inch barrel, second-hand, for decent money, even low enough to rebarrel in the same contour with a 7x64, .284 Win, 6.5-284,... whatever.... way cheaper than an all-up custom.

Winchester Model 70 Super Grade Featherweight ... - Cabela's

www.cabelas.com/product/Winchester-Model.../1787195.uts

Nice ! I've seen a few of the FN model 70's at my gun club and the owners were all very happy with them . I know it's probably just me , but I wish they would have kept the original Model 70 trigger . From everything I've heard , the new triggers work fine , but I really liked the old ones ........... mostly cause I'm old .

AB

Nice ! I've seen a few of the FN model 70's at my gun club and the owners were all very happy with them . I know it's probably just me , but I wish they would have kept the original Model 70 trigger . From everything I've heard , the new triggers work fine , but I really liked the old ones ........... mostly cause I'm old .

AB

New MOA triggers are better IMO. Then again, there was nothing wrong with the old style...

M70 in .338-06 or .35 Whelen, 5+1, 22" barrel and CRF is, IMO, the perfect all-round gun for mixed terrain in western and northern Canada--particularly when treading in grizzly country.

I've had less meat damage with .338-06 shooting 225gr pills @ 2500fps than with .30-06 shooting 165gr @2800fps, naturally, and the kills have been more authoritative based on observation alone.

Last edited:
Back