has anyone been involved with Defence Deer management?

hanners26

morning lads and lasses
being a squaddie I'm interested in getting involved with the defence deer management has anyone had any experience with this? iv emailed the man in charge and been told to get my DSC1 and a deer legal rifle before being considered. but i don't have any permission that's suitable for a CF rifle, is holding a DSC1 a good enough reason to be granted a FAC? iv been a shotgun licence holder for nearly 10 years so hopefully this will help.
it's hard to find much info about the DDM but how exclusive is it? i cant help getting the impression its a ruperts club and anyone not holding a commission is frowned upon? I'm only a tom (private) and didn't know if this would be a barrier and don't want to feel out of place. also has anyone ever used standard learning credits to fund a DSC1 course?

If your first impression was as you say" for ruperts", I would tend to branch out on my own, & go the route of most members on here, buy some odd days here & there, a couple of days with Ian & Jo over in Axminster would soon get your sights set.

I am sure some of the lads on here will point you in right direction as far as the DDM is concerned. Having suitable land to stalk over does not restrict you from having a stalking rifle. You will need to go out on some paid stalks and obtain receipts. Once you have your DSC1 apply for the FAC and ask for it to mention where you are by payment or invitation and with booked and paid for stalks they should not refuse you.

I have no permissions but got my ticket for .308 .243 22-250 & .22 on the grounds that i go out paid stalking and do vermin shooting with a friend so get youself paid stalking and go for it
getting your dsc1 will possibly help, definately wont harm your case
Cheers
Ray

Last edited:
Yes you can use slc for DSC1, as for ddm it's hard to get in to, my mate just applied and got told it's a 2yr waiting list.

Dom

There was an advert for new members in a recent Soldier magazine so it isn't all that exclusive.
The best bet is to get to know a member and ask him to put you forward.
I'm not sure that it is a requirement to have DSC1 or your own rifle to join initially as you can help with site maintenance and then do the course through the DDM.
Then you will be able to obtain an FC and stalk under supervision.
It helps if you have a job that enables you to dedicate a lot of time to training time on the ground and then the courses all follow on.

Look on the BDS website under ddm for the joining criteria mate. Sounds like you could be a works party for 2yr before really getting involved.

Good Morning, I started with DDM a long time ago when it was Services branch. I was a Cpl. I was welcomed and learned a lot about Deer Stalking over the following 15 years. I shot over 150 deer on MOD estate for very little money. You get out of DDM what you put in. I am retired now and wish I was still part of it all. Keep trying them it can sometimes take a while.
Regards
Steve

yea I'm going to look into using my SLC for DSC1 almost no one in my unit uses these anyway so may as well get something out of them. this might sound like a really stupid question but do you need to be army to do DDM? im looking at transfering to Ministry of Defence Police in a year or two, I wasn't sure if i could carry on with it as its still MOD but not army.
i don't mind doing a few works parties i was a tree surgeon before joining up so enjoy woodland management and building hides just depends if i get anything out of it, im usually really busy with work anyways.

Last edited:
From what I can make out mate, you only have to be employed within the MOD, loads of civil service in DDM and i know a few RAF that do it too. Just check the 5 yr left to serve rule to join.

There were a couple of guys on my DSC1 course at the weekend that were hoping to get into the DDM but did stress it could be a difficult avenue to pursue

Good evening,

This is the second thread regarding DDM membership in recent weeks. I am not a member of the DDM any longer and as no DDM member has come forward I would like to put my opinion forward to clarify some of the posts posted.

Firstly I am ex serving finishing in the Army after some 28 years service, I was not a Rupert, I made my way up the ranks. The DDM is not a closed shop, it is not a, as some people say a Rupert’s club, it is also not an exclusive membership, it is not a funny hand shaking free maisons of the deer world club either, it is simply a DMG. Yes there is a criteria to join and if you meet that criteria then you are welcome, there is no difference to any other DMG joining criteria. I joined the DDM as a SNCO and thoroughly enjoined my time in the DDM and all of the people I had the pleasure meeting, they were all fantastic people, well almost! In fact I, as many others from this very site is finding it much more difficult joining a DMG after leaving the Army than I ever did find joining the DDM.

The DDM has a strict joining criteria and training regime and rightfully so. After all they have a potential target audience of serving members and Military serving civil servants in there thousands. How many members can you have in the DDM effectively managing deer populations on the grounds they manage? The DDM is no differant than any other DMG, they have criteria’s and rules and a membership cap that have to be met and adhered to.

It is not a closed shop nor is it a free for all.

Just my tupence worth!

Styer

Last edited:
There are a few rules that make the DDM sound like a bit of a 'Ruperts' club and I can see how that can come about.
It has changed over the years and the reason for that is because in the early stages of SBDS, Services Branch of the BDS, it was being formed by people already involved in Deer Stalking/Management and as a result the early members were from all ranks.
As I was already known as a Deer stalker as I had supplied Venison, for special functions, to one or two Messes, I was fortunate to be in a position to offer assistance and was welcomed with open arms.
As it progressed and more of the MOD estates became aware of deer, a census had to be carried out of such areas and management plans put in place.
It can be seen that if a junior member of DDM turned up to do such a task it would be difficult for some Commanding Officers of such estates to take them serious.
Also the training of new members with no previous experience became essential.
So although DDM is a 'voluntary' job and should be carried out in your 'own' time it became apparent that only the people of senior or in management positions within the MOD/Army/Civil Service etc (flexi-hours) were in a position to do some of the tasks required.
Some people may not agree with this but I was an very early member and saw what was happening over the years right up until my recent retirement.
It also gave some people opportunities to meet/mix with some very senior people that they would not normally meet during the course of their every day job and it was good for their progressement, not only within the DDM but within the relevent branch of whatever entitled them to be members of DDM in the first place.
So gents, it isn't a closed shop nor a Ruperts Club but due to the committment needed to be an active member it can prove rather dificult for some.

Last edited:
MoD Police would be fine to join. The main factor is the part of the country you are in, and how many managers DDM already have in that area. Or, if you're willing to be a manager in a part of the country which doesn't already have too many.

Most of the members I have met have not been officers. That may not be a representative sample.

Hope that helps,
Guy

thanks for all the kinda and helpful replies sorry for not getting back sooner, i haven't been online much. but iv recently completed my DSC1 and found the course really enjoyable. im going to put my FAC in this weekend for a .243 or a .270 and will contact the DDM as these are must haves to join. iv been told there trying hard to recruit "new blood" but iv also been told there's still a awaiting list so fingers crossed!

Back