Haggis

roedeerred

Just had a phone call from a friend 2 doors away with invite to go for Haggis supper better get some beers& wine out. It may be deepest Yorkshire but we all like Scotland :thumb:

Starter: White pudding with spinach and grated truffle.
Main: Haggis chips and baked beans.
Cheese: A hard cheese from Canterbury I can't recall the name of. Yarg-like.

All washed down with a few nip bottles of 1970's vintage barley wine.

K

Does anyone make their own Haggis?

No! but there is a recipe in Nicola Fletcher's venison cook book, I have a copy somewhere unfortunately I can't find it at the moment.

You could also probably find a recipe on google, you don't really need to use the lungs, and you can substitute the heart with meat if you don't like the idea, you will need to use the liver though if you want it to taste like haggis.

Though I have seen vegetarian haggis advertised, though goodness knows what that tastes like.

Tried the vege Haggis....doesn't work for me.
Give me the real McSweens anytime.
Preferred the Hall's but not since they folded.
Just don't remind me what's in it :)

Starter: White pudding with spinach and grated truffle.
Main: Haggis chips and baked beans.
Cheese: A hard cheese from Canterbury I can't recall the name of. Yarg-like.

All washed down with a few nip bottles of 1970's vintage barley wine.

K

nae mon

cullen skink
haggis neeps and tatties
crannachan

starting the day before with Blair Atholl cask strength and ending on same a day after Burns

oh. And out on the hinds for the next week too laddie
Rabbie!

No! but there is a recipe in Nicola Fletcher's venison cook book, I have a copy somewhere unfortunately I can't find it at the moment.

You could also probably find a recipe on google, you don't really need to use the lungs, and you can substitute the heart with meat if you don't like the idea, you will need to use the liver though if you want it to taste like haggis.

Though I have seen vegetarian haggis advertised, though goodness knows what that tastes like.
I`ve only ever bought them from the supermarket which are ok but not sure how they compare to making your own.
Maybe one day .....

Does anyone make their own Haggis?

I have. Sausage making.org used to do the bungs and seasoning. I used Roe offal and it was spot on. However lung shot beasts aint good for it due to blood clots in the lungs. Ive also tried it with Red offal but it was way too strong.

Nutty

nae mon

cullen skink
haggis neeps and tatties
crannachan

starting the day before with Blair Atholl cask strength and ending on same a day after Burns

oh. And out on the hinds for the next week too laddie
Rabbie!

and if you can find it. Dunsire blue cheese with cold Clootie dumpling sliced for your piece. PS. cD needs to be started about a week before you go up

best

d

We had it with neaps/carrot and potato mash, gravy .oh and a half bottle of Jura .his partner does not like whisky:lol:

It was good and no hangover this morning. spot on .

If it was nt for Rabbie Burns Haggises would still be a wild animal, but sad that they have been hunted so hard to make bag pipes and to served on a plate that we are are forced to make artificial haggis out sheep plucks, and bag bipes out of synthetic leather and wood :D

Back