Complete Novice With A Passion For Adventure

Hello,
Ok, Complete novice, very keen to get into deer stalking (especially in highlands & other arduous terrain). I am physically fit, love a challenge & was recommended this site/forum as I have no idea where to start my journey into Deer Stalking.

Welcome Benni.

I was there 10 years ago so know how it feels. Start with a DSC1 course. 3 or 4 days well spent. At the end of it you will know what to shoot, where to shoot it and what to do with it afterwards. When you've done that look at the Stalking Opportunities section on this site. There are some great guys offering stalking at very reasonable rates. The more hours you do the better you get funnily enough, just like anything.

Then get yourself up to Scotland. Some really challenging stuff all over, but the West Coast is particularly special. If you want to push yourself physically go in August or early September when the Stags are high, or get up there after the Hinds in January when conditions are harsh.

It's a great sport and done well is very rewarding.

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have spoken to the BDS today & enrolled on a course in April, I read a good article on the ipad about the DSC1 course so i'm looking forward to that.

Thanks again, im sure you will notice me asking silly questions in the future too.

Hello,
Ok, Complete novice, very keen to get into deer stalking (especially in highlands & other arduous terrain). I am physically fit, love a challenge & was recommended this site/forum as I have no idea where to start my journey into Deer Stalking.

Welcome... do you have any experience with firearms?

Welcome to the world of Deer hunting! Health warning - this can become a passion you cannot escape from……

I fully agree with the first post - get yourself on a DSC1 course as it will give you an excellent intro to this sport and also because many stalkers you might approach will ask if you have this qualification before they take you out.:D

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have spoken to the BDS today & enrolled on a course in April, I read a good article on the ipad about the DSC1 course so i'm looking forward to that.

Thanks again, im sure you will notice me asking silly questions in the future too.

Hi and welcome
There is no such thing as a silly question, as there is always something new to learn

Thanks for the warm welcome btw, it's refreshing.

so im booked for DSC1 in April, but thought in the mean I'd buy some literature, any recommendations? Also, is there anything else you recommend me to do? Get down the gun club for instance!!! (Not a member of any at the moment but bisley is only 5 minutes away).

Safety, safety and safety. Anyone who takes you out stalking will forgive anything, so long as you're safe and that you communicate that you are.

You need to practice the DMQ1 shooting test. If I remember correctly it's 100 meters prone (bipod), 70 meters sitting/kneeling (long bipod/short sticks) and 40 meters off long sticks. Not sure if they have the facility to do that at Bisley but I'm sure you can find someone to take you out on a piece of ground to practice.

In terms of literature, they sent me a 200 page book to study before the DMQ1 along with a disk full of questions. Get your head around that and it will be enough to start with.

Thanks Vipa & yes but only through previous military exp, clays etc....nothing regular at the moment though.

certainly no harm in joining your local target shooting club, all sorts of benefits from giving you a route to range time and practice to a valid reason to possess away from stalking, especially useful for us recreational stalkers who don't have their own land

have fun

Brilliant Nigel, much appreciated for that Intel. I have learnt more from this website than anything Google has chucked up.

Right, off to get practising. Cheers

Hey guys,
just wanted say a big thanks to all your advise.
I passed my DSC1 yesterday so am proper chuffed & appreciate the advise I was given on here.
Now, I have to actually learn how to stalk properly so any advise on where to begin would also be appreciated. I'm going to apply for FAC next & become a BASC member.
once again, thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Back