Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking muntjac

Cooking muntjac

Hi guys i just wondered what is the best way to cook muntjac?

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I wouldn't worry about the cooking. It's the skinning that will drive you mad.
    But the same as any venison, simply roasted and not over-done.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

skin it warm if you can and it's not so bad.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Normally I take as much of the meat off the bone as poss then cube it up and cook casseroles or chillis with it.
    generally tho it just gets used as a substitute for beef with us.

I have recently smoked a muntjac shoulder slow cooking all day in a Peetz smoker on lower temperature making sure it did not dry out. I started with it free hanging and ended up wrapping it in foil after basting it. It was devoured that night by guests who kept asking for more.

The above comments on skinning are relevant. I think that muntjac are not valued enough in the field or on the table that is a shame as I think the meat is the most delicate of the all venison species in the UK. The problem is that no one wants to process it weight for weight as it takes about the same time. But I think the fact that it is muntjac makes it worthwhile.

Skin it, and remove the filets which are cut and bagged in portion sizes. Keep one leg for a roast and then dice/mince everything else into 600g bags and freeze.

Easy to go to the "caught not bought" freezer when we want casserole, Hunters' pie, spag bol, chilli, lasagne, burgers etc... As Mike said in #4, used in everyday cooking instead of beef.

It's amazing how quickly you go through it!!
    Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

The few i have done skinned easily. I just followed it with the knife. I have only done legs in a slow cooker so far and its nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dan71 View Post
    Hi guys i just wondered what is the best way to cook muntjac?
    An oven works for me!

Sorry couldn't resist

If you have a mincer make sausages if not talk to a butcher save the saddle as steaks round me it costs about a pound a pound to have them made my kids love them

For our beaters shoot yesterday I did a muntjac loin and haunches,marinaded in fresh ginger honey garlic red wine teriyaki sauce and veg oil. Slow roasted for ten hours pulled the meat off the bone served in cobs, every body said it was fantastic. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	786.7 KB 
ID:	52368
    Last edited by martyn52; 01-02-2015 at 17:28.