.270 reloading data

ironmatt

hi all,

about to start loading for my .270 and wondered what other people are using? I have bought some 130grn Sierra Gamekings to try to begin with, but also have some Nosler Partitions in 130grn lying around. Thinking of using vit 160 too as then I've got a powder I can bulk buy as I use it for my .243 and .300wm also.

cheers

Matt

Thanks for that mate. What kind of velocity are you getting with that? I was half tempted to make a slightly slower round to reduce meat damage. I'll make some faster ones up first I think though just to see if it does cause too much damage. Is that your reason for a softer load?

I'm shooting 150gr Norma soft points loaded with 57.7gr Viht N165 - all sourced from Bewsher

Very accurate in my tikka t3 lite.

Only powder I've had experience with, I'm afraid. It fills the cases nicely.

If you do a bit of digging around on the forum you might find favourable reviews for Ramshot Hunter powder - Apparently gets very good velocities without excessive pressure (this is confirmed in the Lee Manual). I would try this if I didn't have half a tub of N165 left.

I'm going to try some GS Custom 110gr copper bullets in a few months time. Apparently you can get 3400+ fps from them for flat trajectory and minimal meat damage (because they're meant to hold together so well). Will post my results in May or so.

I like the idea of the light copper bullets and would try barnes 110gr TSX with Ramshot Hunter (3500 fps) if I don't manage to get the GS Custom bullets. 110gr seems to be the correct copper bullet weight for 1:10 barrel twist, since copper is less dense that lead core bullets.

Thanks for that mate. What kind of velocity are you getting with that? I was half tempted to make a slightly slower round to reduce meat damage. I'll make some faster ones up first I think though just to see if it does cause too much damage. Is that your reason for a softer load?

no real reason
no deer in this country needs a 3100fps screamer to knock it over and with most of my shots at significantly less than 100-150yds it does the job on big red stags and hinds alike

it just happened to be where the groups shrank to decent accuracy and I stopped there
they are clocking around 2850 if I recall but I don't tend to get too excited about that in the .270
Am sure the purists will say "why use a .270 at 6.5x55 velocities?"
"cos I can"!

thanks mate, I've been thinking of trying N165 too as it seems a good versatile powder I could use for .243 and .300wm also.

only reason I use N160 is the rifle didn't like N165
grouped OK at around 1"-1.5" but I struggled to get below that
Also uses less powder per round!!

I use N160 in .243 and 300WM too!!

Only powder I've had experience with, I'm afraid. It fills the cases nicely.

If you do a bit of digging around on the forum you might find favourable reviews for Ramshot Hunter powder - Apparently gets very good velocities without excessive pressure (this is confirmed in the Lee Manual). I would try this if I didn't have half a tub of N165 left.

I'm going to try some GS Custom 110gr copper bullets in a few months time. Apparently you can get 3400+ fps from them for flat trajectory and minimal meat damage (because they're meant to hold together so well). Will post my results in May or so.

I like the idea of the light copper bullets and would try barnes 110gr TSX with Ramshot Hunter (3500 fps) if I don't manage to get the GS Custom bullets. 110gr seems to be the correct copper bullet weight for 1:10 barrel twist, since copper is less dense that lead core bullets.

cheers mate I'll look into that, could be worth a try! I look forward to your results about those bullets, I have also been looking into the barnes triple shock but for my .243. A bit pricey though aren't they. Certainly a lot more than SGK's. If they perform well though I could be swayed to give them a go!

Yep, not cheap! It's a fun hobby though, and I'll never shoot enough deer for the price to matter. I wouldn't use the expensive bullets for too much target shooting.

no real reason
no deer in this country needs a 3100fps screamer to knock it over and with most of my shots at significantly less than 100-150yds it does the job on big red stags and hinds alike

it just happened to be where the groups shrank to decent accuracy and I stopped there
they are clocking around 2850 if I recall but I don't tend to get too excited about that in the .270
Am sure the purists will say "why use a .270 at 6.5x55 velocities?"
"cos I can"!

only reason I use N160 is the rifle didn't like N165
grouped OK at around 1"-1.5" but I struggled to get below that
Also uses less powder per round!!

I use N160 in .243 and 300WM too!!

Are they woodland reds you're shooting with it? one of the reasons I fancied a .270 to sit alongside my .243 is due to the slightly longer shots I might face on the hill, but even then, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking many shots further than 180-200yds anyway so a slightly slower round wouldn't really make much difference.

Out of curiosity, what do you use in the .243 and .300? I've got some SGK's in 100grn for the .243 that I have loaded ready for testing, and I have bought some 175grn SMK's for the .300. The .300wm will only be used for targets though as I don't fancy going stalking with a TRG pulling me down haha!

Are they woodland reds you're shooting with it? one of the reasons I fancied a .270 to sit alongside my .243 is due to the slightly longer shots I might face on the hill, but even then, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking many shots further than 180-200yds anyway so a slightly slower round wouldn't really make much difference.

Out of curiosity, what do you use in the .243 and .300? I've got some SGK's in 100grn for the .243 that I have loaded ready for testing, and I have bought some 175grn SMK's for the .300. The .300wm will only be used for targets though as I don't fancy going stalking with a TRG pulling me down haha!

Hill stags, not the biggest maybe but hardy suckers!
I have used the .270 at 300 yds at the range for the morning which was most inspiring and confidence building (with a 135gr SMK version of the same load, same speed)
My rifle is shod with a 6x42 rather than some hubble-esque monstrosity so the view at 300 can be daunting
having done it I wouldn't hesitate to use it in the field at that range
the graduated reticule on the meopta has a perfect notch for 300yds holdover as it turns out.

I don't use the .243 anymore (its being sold) but I used 87gr and 100gr Interlocks, also driven by a moderate charge as it was my dedicated roe rifle and wasting powder just to waste meat makes no sense to me.
The 300wm I use 180gr corelokt SP (Remington factory powder recovered from factory ammo) and 208gr AMax (78gr H1000 load)
I also use 208gr over 69.8gr N160

mines a sporter so it does see field use (and will do again once I have got rid of the chocolate scope on it!!)

Back