CWD trophy medal classification

MikeZZZ

Can someone advise me how to measure the canine teeth from a CWD and also provide guidance on how large they have to be to qualify for a bronze, silver or gold medal certificate. I cannot find any info on this topic and would love to 'size' my trophy.

I think the only 2 measurements required are the length of the front edge of each tooth from point of eruption from gum to tooth tip and the diameter of each tooth at the point of eruption from the gum.
Add both length measurements together and then subtract the difference in length (eg 85mm + 87mm = 172mm less difference 2mm = 170mm).
Repeat for diameter.
Add length and diameter totals together.
The info I have on medals (which is a few years old is- 150-159.99 bronze. 160-179.99 silver. 180+ gold.

I think the only 2 measurements required are the length of the front edge of each tooth from point of eruption from gum to tooth tip and the diameter of each tooth at the point of eruption from the gum.
Add both length measurements together and then subtract the difference in length (eg 85mm + 87mm = 172mm less difference 2mm = 170mm).
Repeat for diameter.
Add length and diameter totals together.
The info I have on medals (which is a few years old is- 150-159.99 bronze. 160-179.99 silver. 180+ gold.

I might be wrong here, but I think you have to fully extract both tusks now before a measurement is taken. The difference between the lengths can be quite marked when they are taken out.

My copy of the CIC Red Book says length measurement to be taken from point of eruption from jaw to tooth tip. So only visible length counts...

I don't know how old my copy is or if things have changed recently.

I do not know the current regulations but as `sikamalk` correctly states there is a vast difference from `point of eruption` and tusk overall length.
With the original formula it was possible to glue the tusks back into the jaw at a smaller depth than they originally were and falsify `the point of eruption`.

Tusk overall length would prevent this happening. I do not know if there has been any change in the formula .

HWH.

I have just spoken to an official CIC measurer who I know, and YES you now have to take the tusks right out of the skull to measure them.

So you have a definitive answer.

CWD are probably the easiest to measure yourself
extract both teeth from skull
measure length of both canines in millimetres and note any difference
measure circumference of both canines at widest point and again note any difference
add the lengths and circumferences of both canines together then deduct any differences you found
this will give you the final score , 1 mm equals 1 point
Total for gold is 210
silver is 190
bronze is 180

hope this helps Andy

Andy
ive taken my biggest buck tonight what's the best way to remove the tusk without damage as these are perfect and don't want to balls it up
cheers
doug

Gotta wait till the wife gets home to put the pictures up I'm no expert I think it's just a cull buck :lol:

Pics of the cwd taken yesterday evening

Attachments

• IMAG0601.jpg
    IMAG0601.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMAG0603.jpg
    IMAG0603.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG0606.jpg
    IMAG0606.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited: