What scope

3-12x50 zeiss

used to use 8x56 but changed to 3-12x50 as it gives you more flexibility

S&B 8x56 low light, point and shoot out to respectable range don't need anything else, in my humble opinion. (Others will of course have different views, but that's the beauty, each to there own)

M

I use a Swarovski z6i 2.5-15x44

it covers everything im likely to do and it's lighter than big obj scopes

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 Mil Dot {fairly heavy scope}on a Tikka .243 T3 Light Gives you that wee bit of time at last light, The furthest i have shot with it is just over 400 meters on a fox {only got a few places that i can shoot over 400}and it was spot on in early hours of the morning and it was very clear.
Just purchased a new Meopta Meostar R1 3-12x56 RD and am awaiting my New Browning X-Bolt in .308 to sort it onto, again i purchased the larger objective lens to get the last few minutes of light.

Optimate 4-9 x 42 would love a nicer scope but frankly it has only let me down at last light once and I don't know if any other scope would still have given me the shot in that light. Using 6x42 lisenfeld on my hill rifle which would also be fine. Point being I'm out there successfully shooting deer with a hundred quid scope and it's fine if not what I would choose if money no object. Would be different for the long range fox boys.

Last edited:
I use a Z6i 2.5-15 x 56 with dot illumination for stalking and high seat work.
When stalking I usually keep the manification at 6x or 8x but the 15x is handy on occasion for final checking of the target - if there's time to adjust it of course.
It has prevented me from shooting a button buck out of season (I spotted the buttons) and/or taking a trophy Chinese Water Deer (I spotted the longer tusks) when I only wanted a cull animal.
It's not too heavy for stalking and the little bit extra light gathering can help with those last-minute fallow that you always seem to spot from a high seat too.
As Mauser243 said though, it's each to their own, if you can have a look through a scope before you buy then do so.
Better still try one from a high seat on a borrowed rifle (in line with legalities of course) and gauge what suits you.
If most of your shots are snap shots then maybe a fixed mag is better?
If you shoot at longer distances or maybe just want to see the target a bit closer up then maybe zoom fits your bill?
I think variable mag and a big (ish) objective works for me, but it might not for you.
If it's just for high seat work I wouldn't imagine weight matters too much unless you have a several mile uphill hike to your high seats.
ATB
Geoshot

Leupolds are very good and bomb proof so if you accidentally drop on from your high seat then it might survive. Otherwise buy a Vortex which has a lifetime guarantee. They are excellent.

D

Back