New rifle recommendations?

mitchiet123

Hi all,

Im off to the british shooting show on 13th and 14th feb, and ive got open .223 and .308 slots to fill. can only afford one rifle atm but need recommendations on what to buy, although i appreciate everyone has an opinion usually favouring their own rifle! :D Would prefer brand new btw

I will be doing mostly target use for the moment until they are opened up for live quarry use which i estimate to be another 6 months to a year (Got FAC in September 2014), then i will be using it on foxes and hopefully one or two paid stalks per year.

I would prefer wood stock but not too much of an issue at all, and need a scope, maybe a mod in the future but package deals may allow one now!

Got a budget of about £1000 but may be able to stretch or buy scope and mod etc at a later date.

I dont want to open a debate about whether .223 or .308 is better; rather which rifle and scope is better in said calibres!

Ive got in mind a tikka t3 (at a push), weatherby vanguard series 2 RC and browing x-bolt but not sure which is better and why, and whether id be better off going for a cheaper rifle but more expensive scope/vice versa?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Last edited:
Decide before you go if you are buying a rifle with your budget of a package. You'll get in a right pickle if you don't.

That said isn't being excited and drawn to something you hadn't considered all part of what this great sport's about?

Go with your heart. You've got plenty of years to buy with your head.

K

My Personal opinion

Yes I know you didn't want a calibre debate but for your budget

you could tick both boxes with a .243 and a quality scope one rifle to do both

or

S/H 6x42 S&B and a S/H .308

S/H variable and a S/H CZ .223 or .222 which would be cheaper

Both these calibres shouldn't be a problem second hand as they are known to be good for thousands of rounds

You will have a job to beat a Tikka T3 for the money, it's usually very accurate, has a nice trigger and suffers with very few problems, you can't really go wrong with this rifle to be honest. I have a Sako 85 and a tikka T3, and in my opinion the T3 will get the job done almost as well.

You will certainly struggle to get a new T3 and also get a new high quality scope for £1000, a little used second hand rifle would be a better bet if you have a fixed £1000 limit, if you can find one that is.

With a £1000 budget I would try and get a higher quality second hand scope rather than going for a lesser quality new one though if I were you. Try to have a good look through a few scopes to compare the image quality. I recently looked through both a weaver and leupold scope out on the range, the image quality was poor in comparison to my Zeiss Duralyt to my eyes.... So much so that I struggled to see bullet strikes clearly on a white paper target at 100 yards with the 16 magnification weaver scope! the image quality was really milky.

If you intend using the outfit for target work also as you say, then choose a scope with enough magnification for your needs, for example a 6 magnification scope would not be enough if you are target shooting out to 200 yards, something like a variable 3 - 12 mag scope would be much better. Beyond 200 yards 12 mag would probably be too limited for target shooting also.

Good luck in finding your rifle/ scope combo.

Last edited:
If your budget is limited and you want new.
You could get a Howa .308 combo deal for that money,
rifle scope mod bipod etc.
.308 can be used for anything from foxes to Red stags.
Yes its nice to have numerous top of the range rifles and scopes
but if you cannot afford them get something you can and go shooting.

Some excellent advice above, print it out and take it with you to the gun show.

I just had a fellow, about 40 years old, come to me and ask about buying his first .308. He has been shooting inherited and other family rifles all his life, and wanted something new. After handling a Sako, a Tikka T3, a Winchester M70 Featherweight, older Rem M700, SHR 970, Sauer, and Steyr PH, and shooting some, he bought a T3 in walnut with a Bushnell Legend 3-9x40 with side parallax adjustment. He is tickled with the look, the feel, the way it shoots, and he has pride of ownership. And he stayed within his budget, under $800.

Even if he someday buys a really expensive rifle, I bet he keeps this one. Stay within your budget. Don't try to buy the Be-All-and-End-All, first time. Just get something which is enough that you have no regrets, have confidence in it, and get on with shooting and hunting. Come away from the purchase thinking you will want to keep this rifle forever.

Stick with T3 best rifle value for money out of the box

There are better rifles but they cost much more money
+1

You will have a job to beat a Tikka T3 for the money, it's usually very accurate, has a nice trigger and suffers with very few problems, you can't really go wrong with this rifle to be honest. I have a Sako 85 and a tikka T3, and in my opinion the T3 will get the job done almost as well.

You will certainly struggle to get a new T3 and also get a new high quality scope for £1000, a little used second hand rifle would be a better bet if you have a fixed £1000 limit, if you can find one that is.

With a £1000 budget I would try and get a higher quality second hand scope rather than going for a lesser quality new one though if I were you. Try to have a good look through a few scopes to compare the image quality. I recently looked through both a weaver and leupold scope out on the range, the image quality was poor in comparison to my Zeiss Duralyt to my eyes.... So much so that you struggled to see bullet strikes clearly on a white paper target at 100 yards with the 16 magnification weaver scope! the image quality was really milky.

If you intend using the outfit for target work also as you say, then choose a scope with enough magnification for your needs, for example a 6 magnification scope would not be enough if you are target shooting out to 200 yards, something like a variable 3 - 12 mag scope would be much better. Beyond 200 yards 12 mag would probably be too limited for target shooting also.

Good luck in finding your rifle/ scope combo.

thanks for the advice mate! Think I'm now gonna get rifle only for £1000 so have narrowed it to a fluted stainless browning xbolt, a varmint T3/super varmint, or the weatherby vanguard RC2 with the green and black tactical looking stock?
Reason being I want the best rifle for my money, I'm not granted for a mod and I've got a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x42. Will handle a few at the shooting show anyway!!

mitch

Keep an open mind on buying "previously loved"... There will be a good selection secondhand rifles there for you to fondle, and something might jump out at you.

For £1,000 you'll easily get a mint Sako 75 in either calibre.

Ok, it's an 85, but you get my point...:
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/sako-85-st-syn-308-rifles-for-sale-in-fife/rifles/742073

But here's a 75...:
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/sako-85-st-syn-308-rifles-for-sale-in-fife/rifles/742073

and in .223...:
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For...-1-Hunter-Wood-Blued_For-Sale_150114171427001

Last edited:
thanks for the advice mate! Think I'm now gonna get rifle only for £1000 so have narrowed it to a fluted stainless browning xbolt, a varmint T3/super varmint, or the weatherby vanguard RC2 with the green and black tactical looking stock?
Reason being I want the best rifle for my money, I'm not granted for a mod and I've got a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x42. Will handle a few at the shooting show anyway!!

mitch

Just a thought but have a look at the T3 laminate Stainless - just because the laminate stock will be a fairly stable platform and the rifle as a whole a little more 'maneuverable' for your future stalking days.

mitch

I have heard of a few people who were not too happy with their standard Xbolts for a variety of reasons, they don't hold their value well second hand either.

I had a Tikka T3 Tactical myself which is very similar to the super Varmint as I am sure you know. This was a great range rifle when used off a Bipod but is too heavy in my opinion to be used for stalking or carrying around any distance, unless you are stronger than the average guy that is. But if you were using it primarily for range work or not carrying it any real distance then great.

The T3 tactical/varmint/super varmint is over a pound and a half heavier than a standard T3 weighing in at a bit over 8lb compared to under 6 1/2lb for the t3 lite,
When you then add a decent scope and mounts you are approaching 10lb , if you also add a mod, sling and possibly a bipod you are looking at 12lb.... This is a lot of weight to carry any great distance.

If you intend getting into stalking with more frequency then the heavy weight varmint type rifles are not really ideal. I have a couple of shooting buddies that have sold their laminated wood stocked Sako 85's with heavy weight fluted barrels because they were just too heavy for stalking and not getting used.

For a range rifle though, A new Tikka T3 super varmint would be my choice with your budget if you want a brand new rifle.

£1000 should also get you a mint second hand laminated wood stock, stainless sako 85 with a heavy weight varmint fluted barrel (as above). It would also get you a mint second hand Tikka T3 tactical, this has the same barrel as the Sako TRG and comes with a sako muzzle brake included as standard.

If you are careful and buy wisely, £1000 buys you a lot of rifle in the second hand market. Both target/varmint and stalking wise.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you are thinking Tikka, the weight of the T3 is mostly in the barrel, especially on the T3 Lite It is still well-balanced, but even with light weight, the muzzle bias tends to make the rifle settle down well and is very steady.

As Paul said, if you are planning to stalk with it, especially all day in the hills and woods, keep the overall weight down below 8.5 lbs. You could get a T3 Hunter with nice wood, and later pick up a molded stock for messy seasons.

If you plan to shoot mostly at the range, then look at a (little) used Tikka 595 Master Sporter, guaranteed to shoot 1/2 inch groups, and it will. It comes with a 10 round magazine, blocks for front and rear target sights and scope mounts, and a really good stock.

But if you want to stalk, and spend most of your budget, you already have a great scope, and a used Sako is really a hunter's rifle, especially one with iron sights. You won't be sorry for buying one. They are really well built, shoot well, are handsome, and feel good. I have never put a scope on mine. At 7 lbs loaded, it is a joy afield, all I need for 250 yards, just too nice for bad weather.

Overall the T3 is a decent rifle, I would certainly choose it over a Sako as the options of later changes and aftermarket bits are better.
No rifle comes perfect out of the box that is why it is important to be able to make changes.
edi

ive got open .223 and .308 slots to fill. can only afford one rifle atm

Got a budget of about £1000 but may be able to stretch or buy scope and mod etc at a later date.

:eek:

that's a budget for 2 rifles and 2 scopes right there!
have you seen the ridiculous barely used rifles and high end scopes floating around the classifieds?!

£1000 gets you a lot of scope and rifle

For Sale: Tikka t3 varmint .308 £750
For Sale: Sako L579 '308' and this really is a bargain

leaves you £500 to buy a 8x56 or similar

While I have no idrea of the prices there I would recommend the Remington 700 in 308. If any manufacturer of aftermarket parts makes something i.e scope mounts, magazine conversions, new triggers etc. the first offered will of courwe fit he Remington. It is easy to smith and verybody makes stockes to fit it. Her ein the US resale value for a Remington is also higher than the others makes because they are a known quantity swhoul you decide to upgrade. Buying the others i a purchase, when you get a Remingotn the limits are boundless.

SS

While I have no idrea of the prices there I would recommend the Remington 700 in 308. If any manufacturer of aftermarket parts makes something i.e scope mounts, magazine conversions, new triggers etc. the first offered will of courwe fit he Remington. It is easy to smith and verybody makes stockes to fit it. Her ein the US resale value for a Remington is also higher than the others makes because they are a known quantity swhoul you decide to upgrade. Buying the others i a purchase, when you get a Remingotn the limits are boundless.

SS

Mitchiet, although the Remington is not on your list, so didn't comment earlier, I would agree with MARCBO. If you end up tinkering with a Tikka you'd be better off doing it with a Remington 700.

Keep an open mind on buying "previously loved"... There will be a good selection secondhand rifles there for you to fondle, and something might jump out at you.

For £1,000 you'll easily get a mint Sako 75 in either calibre.

Ok, it's an 85, but you get my point...:

But here's a 75...:

and in .223...:
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For...-1-Hunter-Wood-Blued_For-Sale_150114171427001

Hi Mate,

Deffo open to second hand, but would like my centrefire to be new if i can as its the first one ive ever owned! If nothing jumps out at me at the shooting show ive had a couple of people message me about their s/h rifles, and there are obviously some cracking deals to be had!

Cheers,

Mitch

Back