Numbers of guns held

bobjs

How many can you hold,both rifles and shotguns before you need a monitored alarm system,

Thanks

Bob

I don't know if there is an actual number. If there is, I'm not aware of what it is. I imagine there are other things that might have a bearing on it, as well as how many guns and rifles you have. Where you live, the construction of your house, it's general external security, do you often go away and leave it empty, the type of firearms you have, amount of ammunition held and possibly other factors that don't immediately come to mind.

Or maybe it's twelve. :D

Not here it ain't.

I think this is a better answer...

I don't know if there is an actual number. If there is, I'm not aware of what it is. I imagine there are other things that might have a bearing on it, as well as how many guns and rifles you have. Where you live, the construction of your house, it's general external security, do you often go away and leave it empty, the type of firearms you have, amount of ammunition held and possibly other factors that don't immediately come to mind.

I have comfortably more than 12 and no alarm. If you count moderators and barrels as items then I have more than twice that number......

May be a dull answer, but I would have thought asking the police would be the way to go.
What if they give the wrong answer, though? Then you're in the pickle, n'est-ce pas?

Seriously, though: why not have a look at the HO's so-called 'Guide on Firearms Law' of June 2014?
Chapter 19. Twelve does seem to be a magic number with respect to increased security requirements - but these no not necessarily include an alarm, monitored or otherwise.

When you've read and considered the implications of that chapter, then ask the FLD!
:)

Last edited:
How many can you hold,both rifles and shotguns before you need a monitored alarm system,

Thanks

Bob

Comfortably just one in each hand lol

Seriously contact your FEO as I believe each persons security is individual and will vary. ie the difference between living in a caravan or a detached fortress type house where either could be covered by the same force. As far as I'm aware there is no specific requirement for a monitored alarm but "reasonable" security measures must be in place and "reasonable" is open to interpretation.
Wingy

No basis in law
i have over that and no alarm,
not asked not provided

stupid expectation. Is one stolen firearm that much less than 12 In terms of significance?
made no difference to the rfd clay ground that was emptied of FAC shotguns with a monitored alarm system ......

I remain unconvinced. If you ring and ask them the specific question then you are left with the option of following their advice or challenging it. By not asking (and I was never told and I can find no mention in law) I will keep accumulating until challenged. I've been through variations and a renewal and no mention made of alarms.

My FEO did once suggest I was accumulating quite an armoury and I explained it was for when the siege happens. He seemingly accepted that answer whilst standing next to a heap of 5000 shotgun shells.............

This is quite an interesting thread - I had a conversation with an FEO about numbers and security about 18 months ago. He was expressing discomfort about the number I had, but was unwilling to come out and give a precise numbers that meant I HAD to have an alarm system. I had 5 guns on my own ticket at that point and had a friend's cabinet with another 2. I am now back down to just 1 shotgun and 4 rifles - and still encountered a degree of resistance when starting the application for another rifle.

I pointed out that a 50kg Rhodesian ridgeback is probably as effective an alarm system as any on the market...

had my cabinet cleared and marked on records as a 10 gun no mention of Max numbers said if I get more than 10 it will flag up on their system to check But was happy it takes as many as you can cram in No mention of an alarm at any particular point

pretty sure its assessed on a case basis tho suspect their will be a basic trigger on numbers to start checking i.e. i am a stay at home dad / self employed work from home so in 90% of the time. if I had a flat in Moss side and was out of the country on work 3-4mths at a time I suspect alarm requirement would come in a little sooner ;)

Good job your not dealing with A&S because I think they insist if you have 5?6 or more, so I had to fit an alarm. Another example of fire Arms depts inventing and applying their own rules.

D

When I applied for an RFD licence I was told with normal house alarm system in place I was fine up to 15 weapons. After that I would have to upgrade to call centre system.

I was told more than 12 and I needed an alarm - it didn't have to be monitored or even covering the house, it could just be the room with the cab in. I'm cleared for 20. Once I hit that number I'll need another cab anyway;)

Back