Long wait for 140gn A-MAX

Soap

My local supplier quotes a long delay for 140gn A-MAX bullets for my 6.5-284 reloads, so the question is!!!!!!!!!
What other 140gn bullets would you recommend for 6.5-284 reloads?
Thank you.

My local supplier quotes a long delay for 140gn A-MAX bullets for my 6.5-284 reloads, so the question is!!!!!!!!!
What other 140gn bullets would you recommend for 6.5-284 reloads?
Thank you.

Talk to 1967spud (aka Mark) - that's where I get mine when I need them. Regards JCS

I have been using them for Deer, the odd fox and a couple of magpies!

Last edited:
I have been using them for Deer, the odd fox and a couple of magpies!
lol.can of worms opened tyey are rather good aren't they :stir: :D .put a wanted advert in classified, ive had 400 that way,spud may have them back in stock

Last edited:
up to the individual what they use

Wouldn't using ballistic tips on a range be frowned upon? I thought FMJs were the only rounds allowed for target shooting. 'Zeroing & practice', I guess? never used a civvy range, so I don't know what the rules are

Wouldn't using ballistic tips on a range be frowned upon? I thought FMJs were the only rounds allowed for target shooting. 'Zeroing & practice', I guess? never used a civvy range, so I don't know what the rules are

how would you zero your stalking rifle then ?

solids are banned in the range orders on mod ranges but bullet type isn't specified.

On MOD ranges, absolutely yes, if the round is classed as a target round like the A-Max. Tons of folks swear by them at range. The SSTs are a no as they are classed as expanding.

It's all a bit blurry though as the rounds look and perform in an identical manner, so if you get a tap on the shoulder, just give them the answer that keeps you out of the cack!

I'm rco'ing at a military range tomorrow , I will see if the range orders exclude expanding ?

I'm rco'ing at a military range tomorrow , I will see if the range orders exclude expanding ?

Looks like I'm in the kitchen baking up some humble pie later...

Reading the Bisley bible, expanding ammo is not singled out as prohibited, unlike:

1. Tracer, incendiary, armour piercing, armour piercing incendiary (API), depleted uranium ammunition containing any igniferous or explosive substance

2. Projectiles of any construction other than lead core with gilding metal or soft iron jacket, including specifically mono-metallic bullets (ie made from a single metal) except solid lead bullets

Looks like I'm in the kitchen baking up some humble pie later...

Reading the Bisley bible, expanding ammo is not singled out as prohibited, unlike:

1. Tracer, incendiary, armour piercing, armour piercing incendiary (API), depleted uranium ammunition containing any igniferous or explosive substance

2. Projectiles of any construction other than lead core with gilding metal or soft iron jacket, including specifically mono-metallic bullets (ie made from a single metal) except solid lead bullets

As above in para 1,

All others are fine as far as MOD (constructed) ranges go, but, it isn't legal to use a sec5 (exp) classified projectile in any form of competition, as it won't comply with the conditions on your fac.
Zeroing with it is fine as it is 'in connection with' deer/vermin use, target shooting for scores, or competition isn't legal.

Regards

Pete

Home | Varminting UK

I thought Hornady had confirmed that A-Max weren't designed to expand and therefore under UK law they can be used on ranges but not for game.

It doesn't matter what can be seen in real life, it's what is written that matters.

my tuppence worth.

throw some petrol on this.....

Scotland have done away with calibre and rifle specific conditions.....
some very interesting interpretations to come!

Back