Veiws on Vortex scopes.

welshwarrior

I've had a look through a few and been quite impressed, whilst I'm a fixed mag S&B man, I'm looking to start using these on a few rifles I'm putting together.

They seem better than Leupold at a sensible price point and still have that very reassuring lifetime warranty.

I've only looked through one that's friend had just bought and it did look like nice glass and well built. They've not been about long so will have to see how well the lifetime warranty actually holds up. I've not heard of anyone taking one back yet though which is a good sign.

I'm happy with mine: use it for comps that require frequent elevation adjustments on the fly (25-600yd) and it is totally repeatable. Glass is good for the money in my PST and there are some good design touches for the price.

Can't comment on the cheaper end of the range. The Razors I played with were very nice but I've not owned one.

Im happy with my vortex, there good value for money and have a life time warranty. I know 2 other guys who have them to, no complaints from them either.

My son has a V Viper 4-16 PST milirad and he dials in with it, fitted to his annie, last time we were out together he shot a magpie at 97 yds just dialed in. Last weeked he was plinking at eggs out to 137 yds (pushing it withh .22lr) unless your using match ammo.

For the money you cannot fault them, nice reticule but I don't like the fact it all illuminates. The zero stop works fine and overall an excellent package. We looked at the Razors at last years shooting show and they looked v impressive.
D

Most people seem to be a little more up the price range so thought id give my 2p worth on the crossfire 2 6-18x44 that i recently purchased.Initial impressions have been really good, everything is as it should be and it seems to stack up against scopes of a higher price. the fact that it comes with a lifetime gurantee was the real clincher for me as for £160 ive just bought a scope for life. the only slight negative that i have noticed is its quite eye releif sensetive, however im used to a 3-12x50 so naturally its not going to be as easy as that. Hope that helps

Ive had a viper 6-24x50 for about 2 yrs, and the people who have looked down it have all been impressed, and ive never had a problem with it.

I had a ffp 6-24 which had a great reticle and mechanically seemed a good scope. On the negative side the reticle was not self centring, like 1950's Euro scopes meaning if you move the turrets your crosshair moves in the sight picture up down left right. Optically I would have rated it behind Leupold and put to shame by a similar priced 6.5-20x50 Zeiss Conquest. I sold mine right away again.
edi

Looked through a few PSTs and they are impressive. Good features, good glass, solid and nice turrets, FFP (if you want first focal plane, I didn't).
BUT the PSTs I looked at were heavy, real heavy and I really didn't fancy lugging all that plus the rifle round the bush. A 30mm tube is only useful if you need all that elevation. ie shooting very long range. It does not gather more light than a 1". Vortex have really good warranties.
So, good scope for the money and if long range is your bag (800m+) and you dont mind the weight go for a Vortex PST.
I bought a couple of Zeiss Conquests.

On the other end of the scale, I like their little BDC reticle, and the Crossfire 2-7x35mm would make a dandy .22 LR or .22 WMR scope. The Vortex looks like a top scope in the $200 range - right there with the Burris Fullfield II and Bushnell Legend HD - which is good, because we need more quality scopes under $300.

One of my shooting buddies has one on his .243, its a viper i think.
Anyways, he loves it! i on the other hand cant stand it as i can never seem to get the eye relief/sight picture right and as a result shoot terrible with it!!!

Other than that, seems good value for money.

Joe

Between me , my Mrs, and a couple of mates we have various Vortex's. The HS's are ok but clarity isn't all that and fine for rang work especially as you have target turrets etc. The PST are great and as good as Sightrons optically, but not quite as good a NF however the turrets are great and you get zero stop as standard. They are quite abit cheaper than Sightron and overall far better I think. Sightron are let down by the turrets as if you dial in your shots you can end up unwinding the screw that hold the caps on, then you lose you zero etc.

If your thinking of a vortex I would definitely say go with the PST or Razor if you can.

Back