Muzzle Flip

Peter Eaton

I dont know if anyone can help with this or not but I shoot a Tikka T3 Lite in 6.5 x 55 calibre. Great rifle but only thing that bugs me is muzzle flip, rifle flips right and upwards slighttly, not much but its enough for me to lose the site picture through the scope. Recoil is fine though.
I hve a T12 mod on the rifle apart from that its bog standard, anyone know of a cure for this , thats if there is one , though I doubt it

Pete

Pete

I would say that you are stuck with it mate, I still get a little on my 25/06 with a Northstar on it, I am just living with it to be honest, its a byproduct of a larger bullet/calibre.

It may cure with a heavy mod fitted-but I would sooner have less weight & live with a little flip than go back to lugging a great big end heavy beast about again:)

Regs Lee

Hi Lee

Thats what I was thinking, its just annoying when I cant see the bullet impact for follow through as you will probabley understand, I supposed it made worse due to the fact the Tikka has a syntetic stock that isnt the best for grip, certainly not like some remmy and bell n carson stocks which seem alot more secure when shooting and dont slip.

P

Don't know what load you are shooting, but assuming you use a 130-140gr as most do in a 6.5, you might try a lighter bullet. I use 120gr Sierra's and BT's in a fairly light short 260rem, I can pretty much always see the bullet strike.

The other possibility worth trying is a different mod. See if you can borrow something like a Jet Z and try and see if that makes a difference.

Pete

I would just live with it then mate, I shoot a finlite 25/06 now & it flips a bit with the mod on, however I only tend to notice it on the zeroing bench-rather than in the field.

I too used to use a Rem 243AI with an H&S Kevlar stock, she was very heavy but kicked like a 22 rimfire due to the weight & smaller load.

Regs Lee

A has just been said ,just a fact of life with bigger calibres.I have a 243 with vamint barrel i can see the quarry drop but i have a 30-06 with which i have no chance but dont think without buying a much heavier gun and using much lighter rounds i can do much about it.even then i may as well buy a lighter calibre.Fact is if we want the extra punching power we have to put up with the extra recoil

Back