Swapping barrels

bk

If you have a two custom actions, one a repeater and one single shot. Both the same make and model, could a gunsmith swap the barrels?

Should the headspace still be okay and would they require reproofing?

I would say that it just could be possible but will depend on if the gunsmith can simply unscrew the barrels without the need for any relieving cuts which might be necessary etc.

Both barrels will need to be set up again for the correct headspace. As for reproofing there should be no legal requirement to do so if you were simply using the rifles yourself but it would be necessary if you were ever to offer the rifles for sale. I would think that any responsible gunsmith would however probably insist on re-proofing in order to protect himself legally against any possible future liabilities.

Last edited:
Interesting
But you are not altering any of the pressure bearing parts if you don't have to alter the headspace etc.

8x57 is spot on. Headspace would need to be set up and reproofing legally required before sale or transfer.

Most gunsmiths are required to reproof after work like this by their insurers.

I mean if you don't have to alter the tenon etc and the two actions are the same, no releif cut as you say is needed then what has really changed. They are two in proof barrels being swapped between two hopefully identical actions.

Hypothetically anyway

Assuming that this is not a trick question and that we are not talking about switch barrel rifles but conventional bolt actions it is extremely unlikely that two barrels will have the tenons cut exactly the same.

P.S. Savage and similar rifles with their external locking collars should be easier for a gunsmith to set up.

Last edited:
BK - It's a good job you said "hypothetically" --- BUT - What do you mean by "tennon" & "relief" & in what context?

Every machining operation has a dimensional tolerance & this must be borne in mind.
A "custom" made rifle is made so that all the components ON THAT PARTICULAR RIFLE fit each other precisely. - They are not made to a pre-specified dead size with zero tolerance - even by the same riflesmith. That is just not feasible. Therefore it would be pure luck if you swap barrels that the headspace and all the other critical fits end up perfect on both rifles.
Thread to thread fit is critical as well as head space, which itself is the sum result of the bolt, barrel & action dimensional assembly sizes.

So - get real! get a proper riflesmith to do the job - He can only tell you after the job is underway & measurements are taken, whether any machining to correct any anomolies / headspace issues is necessarry.
If by good fortune no machining of barrels, actions or bolts is needed, then you don't strictly need the rifles re-proofed, although it may be wise to get it done.

Ian

BK - It's a good job you said "hypothetically" --- BUT - What do you mean by "tennon" & "relief" & in what context?

Every machining operation has a dimensional tolerance & this must be borne in mind.
A "custom" made rifle is made so that all the components ON THAT PARTICULAR RIFLE fit each other precisely. - They are not made to a pre-specified dead size with zero tolerance - even by the same riflesmith. That is just not feasible. Therefore it would be pure luck if you swap barrels that the headspace and all the other critical fits end up perfect on both rifles.
Thread to thread fit is critical as well as head space, which itself is the sum result of the bolt, barrel & action dimensional assembly sizes.

So - get real! get a proper riflesmith to do the job - He can only tell you after the job is underway & measurements are taken, whether any machining to correct any anomolies / headspace issues is necessarry.
If by good fortune no machining of barrels, actions or bolts is needed, then you don't strictly need the rifles re-proofed, although it may be wise to get it done.

Ian

I am getting real!, just asking a simple question which you have answered thank you. A custom rifle will still have tolerances that could be high enough to require, along with the other factors, machining of the rifle and so a reproof.

All this I would obviously think a gunsmith would do. I wasn't contemplating getting my stilsons out lol!

BK,
I would say that two identicle custom actions would be much closer tolerenced then the standard -.007" SAAMI headspace dimension tolerence.
Therefore i would say that a precision fitted barrel from one custom action could be fitted to an identical second action with very little change in headspace easily within the specified .007"

Ian.

Back