22lr cz trouble

nick-h

Alright guys i got a cz 22lr and i found out that 15 inch up the barrel there's a ring of rust i can even feel it and see it when i push the cleaning rod through it , i think its got a 22 inch barrel so is it worth getting the barrel cut down to legal limit.

And how much would it roughly cost to get the barrel shornted and re threaded

Is it worth the hassle in having it done , would it effect the accuracy of rifle to

Cheers guys i know its my fault for not looking after it , but i always make sure my centerfires are always cleaned though

Odd place for rust i would've thought? Definitely rust? :confused:

Does it shoot ok? That would be my first check :thumb:

Hi nick

Get it chopped down to just past the rust thread and re crown,

Well worth the effort and should only set you back about £60.

As for accuracy it will not matter one bit,

Hi nick

If it is shooting OK leave it as it is , forget the rust and save your money.
HWH.

Don't a lot of ppl have problems with accuracy after chopping CZ's .22lr due to them having a sort of choke / restriction at the end of the barrel

The CZ barrels are all hammer forged, so CZs claims that the choke lends accuracy is kind of a non-starter. Hammer forging produces the loosest tolerances & any choking is like lipstick on a pig. It won't suffer from losing it, and a decent recrowning job might even improve factory accuracy :thumb:

That said, as mentioned earlier if it shoots ok as it is...............?

Woods606 said:
Odd place for rust i would've thought? Definitely rust? :confused:

Does it shoot ok? That would be my first check :thumb:

Im 100 % its rust because i seen plenty of it haha

Its not the best for accuracy now it was very accurate before , it was in a cabnit sorted away for along time not being used and not cleaned I think thats what cause it to rust and not being looked after

Im not keen on the lenght of the barrel as it is due it not being very good in the truck lamping

Hi fella I'd take it to mike norris brock and norris custom rifles in Whitchurch , he could chop it and re crown / thread it mikes a top guy and his works first class regards jim

Hi fella I'd take it to mike norris brock and norris custom rifles in Whitchurch , he could chop it and re crown / thread it mikes a top guy and his works first class regards jim

Yeah i was thinking in taking it to brock and norris i been there before they are tidy like that and they make some nice rifles too :D

Kind of a daft question, I know. But would not shooting 100 rounds or so get rid of the rust and then applying some bore cleaner will do the rest?

Well worth the trip mate , I'm going to take my Cz 22lr up to get it shortened and the trigger done , mike put me together a nice 6.5 he really does know his stuff

I put a couple 100 rounds through it and bore cleaner it makes no different really as the damage has been done and it wont fix it buy putting bullets through it

Well worth the trip mate , I'm going to take my Cz 22lr up to get it shortened and the trigger done , mike put me together a nice 6.5 he really does know his stuff

Let me know how you get on with having the barrel shortened please mate that all be great cheers

Guys I have a cz452 .22lr that I had shortened to bout 13.5" wee bit more than legal limit but enough to cut & rethread should thread get damaged .
I did so in order to have truck .22lr so didn't clatter the door frame etc getting in & out as I pick all my rabbits .

Has it affected accuracy ? ... Hell no still hole on hole if bt behind the butt does the job .
Fleet handling , brilliant in a truck or hide for crows / rabbits etc .
I wouldn't hesitate doing it again
.... Admittedly when I first went back to gun smith to pick it up I thought " **** what have I done ? "
But no I love it .
Grant Taylor in Dundee did mine with very fast turn around

Paul

I'll say it again nick,

Hi nick

As you have said cleaning it or shooting ammo through it will not help,the above will sort it out no problems, and it may well shoot better when you've done it,

Bob,

Back