Some Folks Don't Listen

carlthetrapper

I am asked every year to control fox on a 500 acre 1700 bird shoot and due to other commitments and foul weather I don't get there very often, I've been 5 times and grassed 9 so far this season, every year I tell the boss we need to keep at Charlie right through the year. I've been saying this now for 5 years the place is over run with rabbit that I'm not allowed to shoot as the guy thinks the fox will rather eat rabbit than pheasants, every year from the 1st of February that's it no more shooting until the end of September and after the season starts all I get is a telephone call telling me how many fox they've seen on the first shoot day. I feel like not bothering, I do get an invite to the beaters shoot though. What do you think? :-|

Tell him to get lost! I was invited as a Gun to both the Beater's Day and the Farmer's Day on the local game estate. I can also shoot foxes whenever I can be bothered to drive the two miles to get there - in other words, about three times a week all year! :)

its there show ,let them run it as they want, just turn up at the beaters day and put on a good face and batter some of there birds down and have a great day,now if they gave you a set of tweeds and took your p45 they have payed for your advice ,as it is its free advice and they have chosen to ignore it.

Unless shooting for them for a limited time adversely affects your other commitments and causes you grief then I'd say just enjoy it for a few weeks of the year and crack on with your other shooting for the rest of the year.

If they don't manage the Rabbits and only do the Foxes for part of the year then it sounds like they don't really know what they are doing, which is a shame as that sounds like lots of good shooting if they would wise up to what is needed to manage these species long term.

If they don't manage the Rabbits and only do the Foxes for part of the year then it sounds like they don't really know what they are doing, which is a shame as that sounds like lots of good shooting if they would wise up to what is needed to manage these species long term.

I tried talking till I'm blue in the face but its the same every year no shooting out of season, there's about 200 acres of wood plus a separate block over 100 acre that they have access to so you can imagine the room there is for vermin, there are no birds until July except a few gone wild usually so there is no fear of disturbance so think of the peace that Charlie has after breeding. Eh

Sounds to me like the lanowner atempts to keeper it himself? Does he hunt aswell?

I know of a couple off FT keepered shoots where in the olds days the keepers were not meant to kill any foxes, they were for the hounds.
And they were putting out big numbers of birds,

I am asked every year to control fox on a 500 acre 1700 bird shoot and due to other commitments and foul weather I don't get there very often, I've been 5 times and grassed 9 so far this season, every year I tell the boss we need to keep at Charlie right through the year. I've been saying this now for 5 years the place is over run with rabbit that I'm not allowed to shoot as the guy thinks the fox will rather eat rabbit than pheasants, every year from the 1st of February that's it no more shooting until the end of September and after the season starts all I get is a telephone call telling me how many fox they've seen on the first shoot day. I feel like not bothering, I do get an invite to the beaters shoot though. What do you think? :-|

What actually are you complaining about ? You say you don,t get out often because of other commitments, obviously it's not overrun with foxes as you have only
shot 9 after 5 attempts, two litters at the most, and no one else is lamping so they will not be lamp shy.
You are obviously far more knowledgeable than the owner of the shoot, perhaps you need to move on and let someone else enjoy the meagre shooting that is available there.

The owner does shoot and he has a keeper part time, much of the ground is just rides among bio fuel, its all walk only no vehicles, there are around 15 beaters who all shoot and some have tried to gain fox control there but with little success, the keeper has little time for fox control, he and 2 beaters managed 4 fox in year 2013, its hard ground to cover though, my best night was 3 of 5 seen as they do move fast from cover to wood and calling as we all know is not always productive. I've taken 51 local here over the winter so a fair tally and proof of the amount about. I feel if someone wants any vermin control it should be done properly, not restricted then moaned about, I get there when I can but as its walked, not sat in a comfortable truck and I use NV so the weather plays a huge part in it. Just to say that to help some guys out, I did give 2 guys land with the owners consent to shoot, one with 2 farms of 180 acre ish to go at, the other a 450 acre block, both gave up after a short spell and let the clients and me down I feel. This will not happen again.

Smile and be happy you have got the foxing ! Its up to them as to why, just do the best or pass on the shooting

Last edited:
Back