Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Border Terrier - high hopes...

Border Terrier - high hopes...

Welcome to Waffle, my 7 week old (mostly) Border Terrier (the children named her!). I hope she's got it in her, but any top terrier training tips gratefully received. I've only ever had spaniels, and they do as they're told...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

If you don't want her to go to ground, keep her away from holes, culverts, field drains etc.
    It will save you much time, angst and vets bills. My Border is now ten and a half but will still go to ground at the slightest opportunity. I simply have to keep him on a lead if there is the slightest risk that he will visit Charlie at home.
    His last visit to the vet, following a fox encounter, cost me 130 but the vet did a good job and he lived to fight another day.
    Little barsteward but you have to admire his courage.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Thanks Norm, good advice - at this size she can get down anything, and already feisty and feigning deafness.

MY Border has never gone to ground but she does have a high prey drive which terriers do. Make your self the most interesting thing in the world when on a walk, let the dog be a dog and let her sniff and explore the world around her. The first 13 weeks are the most important, that is when she will learn most.

I kept my dog on a very light long lead (25 metre), she could go off and explore but when she got to the end I recalled her and praised her. This was highly beneficial as she was not put in the position of being 'set up to fail' ie if she wanted to chase a squirrel she would only be able to get to the end of the long leash...and then recalled...yes sometimes it took a fair bit of time to get her to switch off and want to come back but once she came back she was praised. Now she is 3 it is a very very rare event to see her go after a squirrel as she knows if I call her she will get rewarded.

Deer to her and scent trails mean fun and a game we both join in..simple as that. She loves to follow tails and loves things that challenge her something as simple as a treat in a loo roll hidden inside a box full of newspaper then hidden in the house....great game to get a pup using its brain.

I also take her with me when I go to cafes , pubs and shops which has taught her to sit and be calm and watch the world around her , no whining no messing about. She just lies there and snoozes....

I have never hit my dog, raised my voice to her, told her she is naughty, scruffed her nor used any aversion techniques....that's the crap Ceaser Milan does....a man with no dog training qualifications. If you want the number of a brilliant girl near Fordingbridge (dog behaviourist) who will help you train your dog , well actually she will train you ))) as I found out, PM me and I will pass on her details

Great dogs and have huge hearts ....

No tips i'm afraid as experience similarly limited to spaniels but I do know one that seems remarkable at finding beasts whatever the cover so there is hope of having a great deer dog. Considering a border too at some point when cocker has retired.

Thanks chaps - I agree completely with you Chickenman, motivation is at it's most powerful when it's positive, aversion techniques break the trust, and one ends up with a confused dog. I have the extender lead and will go with the long leash technique, but what do you call her with - whistle/ voice/ clicker? I'm going to have to vary the games though, spaniels bring toys back, this terrier just does a good impression of a velociraptor with them, and them moves on! Thanks for the tip on the 'hide and seek', that'll be revealing.

Mine enjoy chasing anything that moves.Going to ground last time it cost me 1250.00 when her self and sister found a badger at home .They enjoy very long walks but are equally just as happy just to run around the garden for 10 minuets .They love any sort of fun and games mostly hide and seek they hide I seek.Excellent with children.The only tip I can give you on them though is they will train you not you them.Good luck

I use a plastic whistle or whistle myself to recall her. I only use clicks to het her attention as such. You mention using clicker, the clicker should only be used to mark a behaviour if it is used correctly and you must be spot on when you mark the behaviour, ie if you use the clicker when training her to sit the click must be bang on the moment her bum touches the early or late then our not marking the behaviour you are wanting to. Personally I would ditch the extender lead as if your not paying attention the dog gets to the end and gets a good yank on the neck. Better to use a harness and the long tape...tapes are on ebay for a few quid.

Starr Shot is right about the hide n seek games and yes the dog will train you and run you ragged with games for sure. Piper is my first dog and I thought there was some black magic to training her to track , not so. If the dog likes to find things she will bond with you and love to do it. The thing to get right are the making sure the pup isn't stressed when you leave, doesn't get travel sick, is behaved in the house. Ignore bad behaviour and reward good...simple as that. One thing I do regret is having her speyed before her first season, I think she was way to young and I believe that is most likely one of the reasons she can be nervous at times of some noises.

Good advice on the spaying C, I aim to let her have at least one season, maybe more. With regards to the harness did you train her to a slip lead separately, and only use that at heel then? I have never used a clicker, but could try that to show approval, but it will therefore have extremely limited utility, I must do some more reading, and rely less on the black magic!

[QUOTE=Wiltsire Ron;917768]Good advice on the spaying C, I aim to let her have at least one season, maybe more. With regards to the harness did you train her to a slip lead separately, and only use that at heel then? I have never used a clicker, but could try that to show approval, but it will therefore have extremely limited utility, I must do some more reading, and rely less on the black magic!

She is always in the harness as when she goes out on a walk she will want to walk forward of me as eager to use her nose and find things to smell. I don't not make her heel I just let her get on with it, she then calms after ten mins or so. At this point she will be either off the lead or walking to heal naturally......I have never used anything other than a harness as if a dog does pull ...well I know I wouldn't want something choking me if I was her...hence the harness does not do that. I have been told in the past use a harness only when working as the dog will know when its time to work....well with Piper I just have to say 'find the deer' and she is knows it means fun and blood to sniff ))

Regards basic training and clicker training there are some excellent trainers on there , all using positive re-enforcement.