Shot gun storage question ?

bobjs

Do you think you could store the action of the shotgun in a gun cabinet in the main house and then keep the barrels in another gun cabinet in the garage that is part of the main house but not connected to it ?

Whats your thoughts,

Bob,

Not enough room in either cabinet for a fully assembled shotgun? Assuming both cabinets have been ok'd I can't see an issue with it but probably best to check with your FEO.

I have got the not so nice task of selling off a friends guns and I have no room in mine in doors, and as the garage is not yet alarmed I was thinking of keeping the action parts in the house and then the barrels of the shotguns in the garage to allow me more room in mine in doors etc,

The garage is fully heated as its partitioned and has a ceiling full lighting and a small work bench etc,This is my loading room / workshop, I can alarm it latter but the guns arrive tomorrow .

Bob

Last edited:
they dont like stuff stored in a garage ,FEO,S dont .if you go on pigeon watch n do a search its been asked many times.phone im and explain its only till said guns are sold he me be an understanding type

they dont like stuff stored in a garage ,FEO,S dont .if you go on pigeon watch n do a search its been asked many times.phone im and explain its only till said guns are sold he me be an understanding type

Pw is a no go for me ??? But I will call and ask,

Bob

hope he agrees ,u make total safe sense with your idea but its down to someone else,s version of how they read the law ,atb hope it pans out

If my memory serves me correctly the barrels are what makes a gun or rifle a shotgun or firearm not the action. Therefore if you swap them the other way round and store the barrels in the cabinet in your house then you will not have any issues. Check with the BASC.

From a security point of view It could be considered better to remove rifle bolts and seperate
shotgun barrels and actions, storing them apart . Not in a garage though.

If my memory serves me well i seem to remember that only shotgun cartridges can be stored in an "outhouse" and guns must be stored within your premises??

A friend (also member on here) stores all his firearms (rimfires, FAC shotgun, CF rifles etc) in his un alarmed detached garage. He has an ammo allowance of 2k and was told if he wanted more then he would then need it alarmed. Just ask your feo as they will each have a different answer depending on your circumstances.

If my memory serves me well i seem to remember that only shotgun cartridges can be stored in an "outhouse" and guns must be stored within your premises??
Not true I know of a few shooters that have cabinets in garages for rifles and shotguns and no problems getting it.

Thank you all so much, I will speak to them today, what I need now is a cabinet on loan until I get his rifles and shotguns sold etc,

I can't afford to buy one at this time as funds are for other things at this time, but I'll have a look on some shooting sites today and see what's about,

Thanks lads

Upddate to follow,

Bob.

Last edited:
Bob, Why bother with all the fuss of holding them yourself ?
If you have them for disposal why not hand them to an RFD/Gunshop to sell on commission or are you holding out for a bigger profit by selling them privately ?

Bob, Why bother with all the fuss of holding them yourself ?
If you have them for disposal why not hand them to an RFD/Gunshop to sell on commission or are you holding out for a bigger profit by selling them privately ?[/QUOTE

Just trying to get him good a better price ed, and with the local rfd's around here I would not ask them to do anything for me,

I have sold 2 rifles this week and one going tonight, then it will leave me with just 3 shotguns,

Bob,

The usual confusion between guidelines and law seems to be creeping in here
From the HO guidelines at;
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117636/firearms-security-handbook.pdf
You can find:
PART 2 – SECTIONS 1 AND 2 FIREARMS (FA1968)
2.5 Under most circumstances, it is preferable that firearms should be secured within theoccupied part of the structure. Separate, detached buildings, or those attached but having onlyexternal access (eg outhouses, garages etc) should not be used unless the levels of securitywarrant it. If used, these could also be protected by an intruder alarm linked to the household.

Nothing in section 2.5 is mandatory, but we all know how FEO's can read guidelines as laws........
There are quite a few areas open to interpretation just in the quote above (bold, U/L and italics)

So, in answer to the OP, if your shotgun cabinet in the garage is up to spec, and has been previously used to store firearms/been approved then why not use it.
Otherwise, be prepared to explain to or negotiate with your FEO if you seek guidance.
Best of luck with the storage and subsequent sale
Geo

Back