Zeroing a 17hmr

EDCM

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone has any techniques for zeroing this tiny calibre with out a spotting scope.

I last zeroed it in autumn, this involved a piece of card with a mark on it, and a 100m x2 walk after every 5 shots.
I think i ended going back and forth 4 times. My Hawke scope isn't good enough to pick out the holes.

The scope has been off of it since so its a case if having to re-zero, to be honest i could do with out the annoying walk back and forwards.

Any Ideas or tricks anyone?

Other than "get a better scope" that is.

Eddie

Use brightly coloured card/paper. it make's life so much easier. I get loads of it from a cheap book shop locally for about £1 a pack.

Enjoy the walk, barrel will be cooling, and I find it gives you time to think about your group.

Why not try using "Shoot-N - See" targets. You should be able to see the strike marks through your scopes at 17HMR zeroing ranges.
It is possible to make your own (I haven't tried this myself) but they look quite quick, easy and cheap to make, and you can make them whatever size suits you for the range you might be shooting at.
There are many videos on Youtube showing you how to do this.
Here's a couple of examples that might be worth trying:-

Last edited:
use a target at 50yds
pick a POI that gives you a zero you are after then check at 100yds to confirm

Yes you can zero and check your Zero at any range just need to know the offset from LOS at that range (plenty of free software available now)

I certainly don't put a scope on a rifle and start trying to zero at over 25yrds

I certainly don't put a scope on a rifle and start trying to zero at over 25yrds

Absolutely..... I am trying to get the final couple of inches spot on.

The problem was seeing the POI at 100m

It looks like my local dealer does the shoot and see targets. I will give them a go.

Thank you everybody

Eddie

i use white or light colour board and black marker and black out my last shots if no marker a dab of mud on finger does the same mines a pain at the mo as the scopes run out of elevation so i have to remember its shooting an inch low, cant be arsed at the minute to change the rings,

Zero for the hole on hole at 35 yards,

Flat out to 125 done this for years when I used the hmr, never had a problem but I don't use one now, but I can not fault the wee rifle, got a good reputation spoiled buy some bad ammo in the last year,

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for that, I have had a look at the ballistic charts for 35m zero and it looks workable.

I will give that a go.

Eddie

Hi Bob

Thanks for that, I have had a look at the ballistic charts for 35m zero and it looks workable.

I will give that a go.

Eddie

Cheers eddy, I used 37 ? And it worked just fine, no need for a high mag scope I used a 12 mag scope with a fine ish, centre to the ret for those longer shots.

I wish you well

Bob,

I agree with letting the barrel cool and then collect a bunch of plastic containers fill them with water and place them all over at differing distances to test zero- more fun and practical practice.

If you check your ballistic data for the .17 ammunition you should be able to comfortably shoot and zero on a 50m target. Dependant on your scope height setting (line of sight) to your barrel you can determine where the rounds ballistics will place the round above the zero, once zeroed at this point at 50m you only then need a test at 100m.
I use the Remington ammunition and have dropped in the ballistic data showing only elevation for this .17 round at my settings for line of sight this should be a guide for you but not a definite as your rifle set up will be different. Using this and any of the ballistic calculators on the web you should be able to work it out.
If not try the sight & see targets or just enjoy the walk. ATB

image.tiff

The best zero by far ... 125m its like a laser

17gr v max (scope height 2" bore to centre ) drop :
50m - 0.1"
75m - 0.6"
100m - 0.6"
125m - 0
150m - 1.2"
175m - 3.2"

as you can see its almost flat to 125m, and only 1.2" at 150 m ....

+1

I zero a tad low at 50 and then check for 125 yd zero (just under 1in high at 100yds)

Heres the Guestimate on the HMR im building up Only a 14" barrel so dropped the MV a bit
and 2.09" Scope hight

Point blank range for a 0.75" Kill zone 36yrds to 116 (head shot rabbit)

10960041_10204777115325810_4351296361709968649_o.jpg

Kill zone of 1.5" gives PBR 24 to 135 (body shot rabbit )

10623974_10204776978842398_6659453407614928282_o.jpg

Back