Thread: Boy toys - aircraft

Boy toys - aircraft

As a manufacturing consultant, I have been lucky to go into a lot of factories, and see how a lot of things are made. Now, I can find videos of things which used to just be in memories. A lot is still secret, as it should be, but a lot are known processes. Some things are so large and and take so long, it requires some real planning and editing to capture the process. '
    Airplanes and ships are like that. Here is a video of the building of the Boeng Dreamliner in Charleston, SC, right to its rolling out and onto the runway of the adjoining municipal airport for the maiden voyage.

Really Amazing: A must watch for all aviation maintenance personnel -Boeing Assembly Line HD - YouTube

Nice video, but I must have missed the part where they roll it back in to have the lithium-ion batteries replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Nice video, but I must have missed the part where they roll it back in to have the lithium-ion batteries replaced.
    Yup. Buy an Airbus instead!

Yep this the one you want to watch

Don't think Boeing managed this either not that I am biased of course.

A350XWB 5 aircraft formation flight:

video The A350 XWB test fleet joins up in formation flight - airbus, aircraft, airplane - videos AIRBUS

I have been in engineering most of my life and have got on to many assembly lines to see how things are built and put together. It always fascinated me that someone came up with the idea to make a machine that could do all those jobs.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Established Poster
    The New Forest, Hampshire
    Are you sure it is a Dreamliner? (It looks a bit like a stretched 737 to me.)

There are several models of the 787 Dreamliner. Some have the fuselage built in Charleston and flown in special cargo plane to Everett, WA for final assembly. The largest model, the 787-10, will be built entirely in Charleston.

Here is some normal speed video of the subassemblies coming into Everett from SC and Kansas for final assembly.