Thread: Rewarding walk in the snow.

Rewarding walk in the snow.

I've just got back in from a couple of hours steady walk on one of my permissions. The majority of the land is still covered with snow (Up to a foot deep in some places) so it was the ideal time to check on what is moving on the land. I took the .270 in case any foxes were about and on the prowl but no shot was fired - This particular farmer hates foxes with a passion!
    However I am really happy that I made the decision to go to this particular permission as the last time I was there in the snow (A couple of weeks back) I saw what I thought were some deer slots, but i could not be 100% sure. Today I came across fresh deer slots (Plus several fresh sets of tracks from foxes). It looks as if there are about 6 or 7 different animals that have crossed the permission in the snow. There has been a few occasional deer spotted crossing the land in the past, but not with any regularity but now it does seem that they are here on a fairly regular basis recently. I chatted to the land owner about this when I got back to the farm house and he confirmed that he had been seeing roe deer towards the top end of the farm recently and confirmed that if I wanted to shoot a couple of them I was more than welcome to do so with his blessing, and if I did shoot any I could use one of the small tractors to recover the carcasses - Maybe just as well as it could be something like a half to three quarters of a mile drag otherwise!
    It looks like I am going to have to be more vigilant, particularly while this winter weather is with us and get out there just before first light so that I can have a go at putting some fresh venison in the freezer for myself and for some of my elderly neighbours.
    I only took my small cheap pocket camera with me (A free gift I got when I took out a funeral plan with) so the photos are not top quality. However they do show how much snow there is lingering in our "neck of the woods" and what a peasant day it was for a walk in glorious sunshine! All in all a GREAT DAY with the chance of a fresh challenge!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0002.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	52414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0004.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	52415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0006.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	52416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0008.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	52417

looks like a great walk turned out ok,nice one doug,

Sounds like you are well set with the farmer fb.
    I bet it's bloody cold there when an east or north wind blows.
    Last edited by private fraser; 03-02-2015 at 16:47.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Sounds like you are well set with the farmer there fb.
    I bet it's bloody cold there when an east or north wind blows.
    Both this farmer and his cousin who owns landthat I shoot on are both goos and personal friends. If I don't get a chance to get out and see them for a fortnight or so they are often on the phone to me just to ask if I am OK!
    As for the wind, yes it can get bitterly cold, especially for a nights lamping! Even so I feel blessed to have permissions and friends like these!