243 load

the keeper

hi folks anybody suggest a couple of loads for a 243 1st one around 70gr then the second 100gr and what was the oal on your load and what cases many thanks the keeper

Have a look down through the reloading threads, they will give you some ideas.
The Hodgdon site is also useful.
basil.

Have had a great deal of success with 87gr Hornady SP using Lapua cases, CCi primers, 36.6 gr N140.

36 Gr of H380 pushing out a 100gr sp interlock. T3 Lite Stainless/Synthetic. Obviously normal reloading caution applies, this suited my rifle, build up slowly and look for signs of pressure..........................................................................................................................

TJ

36 Gr of H380 pushing out a 100gr sp interlock. T3 Lite Stainless/Synthetic. Obviously normal reloading caution applies, this suited my rifle, build up slowly and look for signs of pressure..........................................................................................................................

TJ

Good load,Load mine to 37gr H380 but work up to it carefully its just about on the max. I would suggest magnum primers
with H380 as its a ball powder, I use Remington mag.primers.

TJ I usually use Hornady boat tail 100gr, did try a box Hornady interlock when my supplier didn't have what I wanted, found they were not opening up on Roe passing right through, and running 50-60 yards before dropping, exit hole same as entry
no blood trail.

Have you experienced this with them or did I just get a bad batch? gone back to the boat tail.

my 70grain load is 39g h4895 and 70g nosler balistic tip in federal brass. i seated the bullet the same depth as the federal 100g spbt that i was getting the cases from. just put a factory in die wound the seater till it touched and seated the reloads. very fast and accurate 1/2 inch job good for charlie. I use 100gspbt over 33g h4895 for the deer, have shot muntie to red with this no bother. Not the fastest but it didnt concern me till i got a chrono, same seating depth and technique

pete

I find 70 gr Speer TNT , 45 gr of hogdon H380 an ideal round in mine OAL is 2605 in Winchester brass with a federal primer
atb Brian

Have you experienced this with them or did I just get a bad batch? gone back to the boat tail.

To be honest, I never had any problems although, I was that happy with the .243, I neck shot 99% of the time, so it wasn't an issue. I will add though, It was ex forrestry woodland and most deer were shot about 70m or less. I did shoot a Roe Buck at about 15m, I chest shot it as I had a nano second to shoot, the exit hole was about 4 cm and it ran about 100m.

Sorry to go of thread.

TJ

I found hornady's 100gr interlock spbt and 36gr of H380 lit by a cci mag primer in lapua brass gives me 1/4 inch groups out of my tikka 595. Its max listed charge so i would work up to it thou.

I found hornady's 100gr interlock spbt and 36gr of H380 lit by a cci mag primer in lapua brass gives me 1/4 inch groups out of my tikka 595. Its max listed charge so i would work up to it thou.

Depends on which table your looking at Speer's manual gives max charge with H380 and 100gr. BT as 37 gr.
I load 37gr. been to 38gr. as seen on another table on the net, still no pressure marks but accuracy not so good

Always a good idea to start 5% below minimum and work up, a lot depends on the rifle, have seen pressure marks way below max loads in some cases.

I use a standard load of 41.2 Grains of Varget under a 70 Grain NBT for testing 243s and it has in nearly every gun tested produced very good groups (even in a 1-8 twist 243 AI) I also used this for fox shooting as it was superbly accurate in my Weatherby and Remmy 700.

2 loads same rifle Remington 700 sps stainless 22"brl 1 in 9-1/4" twist
I have been lucky to hit on the following
This is my fox load i've shot for years very accurate 75grn v-max over 38.5 grns of varget doing 3182fps at muzzle zero 200yds
wanted a load with a 100grn bullet after doing a few loads and clicking scope down to allow for 100yds with my old load
i now have a 100grn bullet zeroed for 100yds still retaining a very accurate shot
100grn speer sp boat tails over 43grns reloader 22 doing 2771fps at muzzle
both these loads are very accurate in this setup

Back