thoughts on the 22wmr

the prowler

Thinking of getting a 22wmr for close range foxes on small farms I have. Used one once, which my mate had.

Think it was a remington semi auto with no sound mod. Shoot a few rabbits with it.

So is any one using a 22wmr and whats the best rifle and sound mod to buy one in?

reliable to 100-150 yds on foxes , I use a 77/22 ruger stainless laminated with a shortened barrel , just find a round your rifle likes mine loves the 30-33g stuff.

I have an old CZ452 with a meopta 6x42, had it for over 25 years. It was very accurate with RWS HP ammo, and very little else in the 40gr bracket.

However when the 30-33gr BT type ammo appeared 10 or 12 years ago it transformed it into a very accurate little rifle. Very effective on foxes out to 100-125 yards.

I used a Win mag to shot roos foxes and rabbits for years till I got a 222Rem(I would not use a WRM on a roo now). The magnum is a fine rifle if you use it within its capabilities. I'd have to say 150m is a stretch but a well placed shot will deck a fox.
Never heard a moderated 22Mag. We are not allowed naughty items like moderators, the authorities think that 'silencers' lead to gangster like tendencies in the innocent.

Up until recently with my first steps into CF I had CZ452s in HMR and WMR, when I got my 0.223 I traded the 452 American against it as I preferred the varmint configuration of the 17. Regretted it almost immediately, mine shot just as well with Honaday 30gr vmax or 40 gr soft points as the HMR does and I never stretched its legs on foxes but tackled them out to 85 yards with no prob's, same as the HMR if you want to eat rabbits shot with it then head shoot them only.

In terms of Rifle I have only shot the CZ452 but they are great particularly if the trigger is done, they are generally cheaper in WMR too, in terms of sound mod a SAK is fine the ASE Utra rimfire mod is very good but expensive and the weight causes barrel droop on the skinny american barrel. I ended up using a Sirrocco on mine which did the job well.

I planned to replace the WMR as soon a funds come available but in the end someone suggested the 0.22 hornet as I viable option as I have started loading. I got a CZ527 full package inc loading kit and consumables for £600.00, I can load hornet rounds for 28p compared to the 25p for WMR / HMR so it was a no brainer. So the Hornet may be another possibility particularly if you reload.

I use a CZ 455 thumbhole varmint in .22 wmr. It has an interchangeable barrel system so not confined to one calibre. Works very well with Ely maxi- mags for bunnies and foxes on my permissions. Most shots are in the 100 mtr. range. Excellent bit of kit.

Have an Anschutz 1515 with ASE RF suppressor. Good results with the Federal 50g, however the Federal 30g Speer TNT really does clobber foxes out to 100 metres. For me the 22 WMR, 22 Hornet and 222 cover all the bases for foxing

Some good info guys, have a 22lr for bunnies. So wmr is just for fox. So I wont use it much. Teamed up with nv, should make a good light weight set up.

Got other cf rifles, reload them. So hornet would be good to. But then its another gun to reload for and for the amount of time its going to be used? 22wmr might be better.

Some good info guys, have a 22lr for bunnies. So wmr is just for fox. So I wont use it much. Teamed up with nv, should make a good light weight set up.

Got other cf rifles, reload them. So hornet would be good to. But then its another gun to reload for and for the amount of time its going to be used? 22wmr might be better.

This is just MY opinion but the Hornet is neither fish nor fowl. It has too much power for bunnies if you want meat and costs more per case than a 223 with far less power and range. It only extends the range (when compared to a 22 RFM) a measly 50m or so and cost plenty more. So it really fills no significant niche. It was popular here in WA while it was on the low power list because you didn't have to jump through the hoops to get one licensed. Most people (including myself) had a brief fling with the hornet or K Hornet before moving on to a proper centrefire.

Well if you want something which will be ok for fox at sensible ranges with sensibly priced off the shelf ammo then sounds like WMR fits the bill for you, it is quieter than the Hornet too. The good thing is there are lots of options ammo wise to from 30 up to 50 grains, my HMR may well go soon and get replaced with a self loading WMR to be honest!!

good choice

WMR is accurate enough for head shots and has enough energy for body shots without worrying about surface blow up, wind deflection or squibs

10 out of 10 foxes say they prefer WMR to HMR......

I load my 0.223 for 38p per round, I load my hornet for 28p per round so slightly cheaper, quieter and my hornet is a lovely light little rifle compared to my 0.223. I use it for rabbits but it gives me much more confidence if I happen upon a fox whilst out than if I was out with HMR or WMR, 700-800 ft-lb vs 200-300 ft-lb; no contest really.

If I am out specifically for a fox I take the 0.223 but most of my shooting is rabbits so the hornet gets out the most.

Cost wise for factory ammo to be fair there is not a lot in it between the 2 which is why I only put the Hornet forward if the OP was going to load for it.

Got the 204 223 and 22ppc. These cover fox and roe well enough. I had a hornet before. Good rifle. Got a farm which is small and near houses. Just thought the 22wmr would be perfect. Most foxes are 100max and some even come into 40yards.

Just need to think of a rifle, sako quad with parker hale mod might be good?

Got the 204 223 and 22ppc. These cover fox and roe well enough. I had a hornet before. Good rifle. Got a farm which is small and near houses. Just thought the 22wmr would be perfect. Most foxes are 100max and some even come into 40yards.

Just need to think of a rifle, sako quad with parker hale mod might be good?

CZ 452.
I wouldn't part with mine. Very ammo tolerant, meaning, it shoots many different brands and styles well. Can't speak for all Quads but my buddy exterminates vermin on a golf course with his 22WMR Quad and iirc, it boiled down to two brands of ammo for suitable accuracy.~Muir

Back