Reloading

penta

I want to start reloading 17 Remington brass. A bit apprehensive about It though, I know they're many books on reloading and videos on the net. But I was wondering If any forum members local to me, or in the Glasgow-Stirlingshire area could show me the ropes. Always better with a practical tuition opposed to a reading from a book. "well me anyway". I still have to purchase reloading equipment so will need advice on that aspect also.

I want to start reloading 17 Remington brass. A bit apprehensive about It though, I know they're many books on reloading and videos on the net. But I was wondering If any forum members local to me, or in the Glasgow-Stirlingshire area could show me the ropes. Always better with a practical tuition opposed to a reading from a book. "well me anyway". I still have to purchase reloading equipment so will need advice on that aspect also.

So. The question is this: How do you know that the person showing you the ropes, knows the ropes? You will NOT be able to get away from the reading so get used to the idea. Buy a good book on the subject and follow the instructions. Millions of reloaders have taught themselves. You might as well be the next.~Muir

(Reloading safe, accurate cartridges is easy. Follow the instructions to the letter, start with minimum loads. Instant success. If I can do it......:D)

Remove the old primer, clean, resize, trim, de-burr and re-prime the case. Measure and pour the powder charge and seat the new bullet. Ok there are a few nuances but that's what books are for. I've recently started hand-loading and it's straightforward.
CH

Thank,s for your comments. Excellent tutorial that I have read and will do again. Will have to save up to purchase the tooling required looks expensive !.
It doesn't have to be. Think 'minimalist' Simple press. dies. scale. trimmer. primer seater. Here in the US that's about $150.~Muir

Muir sounds good to me.

Smart move.
If you can pick up Lee's book "Modern Reloading Volume II" you will find a lot of information on the bits and pieces. HE gives a good treatise on powder handling and pressures as well. I will concede that learning how to load on the 17Rem might be a tad more difficult as many 17 cal parts (funnels, case trimmer pilots) need to be scrounged. Lee themselves do not do a lot of 17 cal parts IIRC. At least not the trimmer studs. Otherwise, they have all the stuff and 1967 Spud can probably set you up with all of the above.

Welcome (in advance) to a sport that has given me much satisfaction for almost 4 decades. I have confidence that you can do fine flying solo.~Muir

Smart move.
If you can pick up Lee's book "Modern Reloading Volume II" you will find a lot of information on the bits and pieces. HE gives a good treatise on powder handling and pressures as well. I will concede that learning how to load on the 17Rem might be a tad more difficult as many 17 cal parts (funnels, case trimmer pilots) need to be scrounged. Lee themselves do not do a lot of 17 cal parts IIRC. At least not the trimmer studs. Otherwise, they have all the stuff and 1967 Spud can probably set you up with all of the above.

Welcome (in advance) to a sport that has given me much satisfaction for almost 4 decades. I have confidence that you can do fine flying solo.~Muir
Well, Sir thank you very much indeed. I value your input.

Hi there Penta
I live just outside Stanley near perth if you are over my way i can go through the process with you, just finishing of my new gunroom at the moment but will be ready soon
i have the rcbs rockchucker supreme, which is pretty expensive but the Lee kit does the same job at a fraction of the price, its a personal choice, if you want to drop over send me a pm

Hi Penta, I am just a novice at reloading too, and bought my gear on a budget. It's mainly Lee, but have RCBS and Lyman too.... Muir gives you very good advice, I had some great help from a smashing chap on here ( Chris) who talked me through the basics, and telling me what gear I needed...I then went away, and read books, and watched Vids on Youtube...then went for it...I am loving it mate...shot my first Fox last week with one of my reloads. It's like tying yer first fly...and VERY addictive...:)

I'm only in Falkirk if you need any help..and a look at the gear I use.....tho, as i said, I am only a novice too...:)

Hi there Penta
I live just outside Stanley near perth if you are over my way i can go through the process with you, just finishing of my new gunroom at the moment but will be ready soon
i have the rcbs rockchucker supreme, which is pretty expensive but the Lee kit does the same job at a fraction of the price, its a personal choice, if you want to drop over send me a pm
P,m sent, Thank you.

Hi Penta, I am just a novice at reloading too, and bought my gear on a budget. It's mainly Lee, but have RCBS and Lyman too.... Muir gives you very good advice, I had some great help from a smashing chap on here ( Chris) who talked me through the basics, and telling me what gear I needed...I then went away, and read books, and watched Vids on Youtube...then went for it...I am loving it mate...shot my first Fox last week with one of my reloads. It's like tying yer first fly...and VERY addictive...:)

I'm only in Falkirk if you need any help..and a look at the gear I use.....tho, as i said, I am only a novice too...:)
Thank you, Norrie. Yes, have viewed Muir,s post,s on reloading. A wealth of knowledge. And you and Ray for your gestures of help. Thank you very much Indeed.

Some good replies on this one, I'm to far away to be able to help but have imput on costs. Ask around your local gunshops for second hand stuff that's what I did and got a Lee press for £20. To start with I would buy Lee dies and case prep stuff as well, have a look on Kranks website his postage is reasonable.

For a beam scale I would not buy a Lee get a Lyman or RCBS.

Just my opinion others may suggest different. Good luck, be safe and enjoy.

Some good replies on this one, I'm to far away to be able to help but have imput on costs. Ask around your local gunshops for second hand stuff that's what I did and got a Lee press for £20. To start with I would buy Lee dies and case prep stuff as well, have a look on Kranks website his postage is reasonable.

For a beam scale I would not buy a Lee get a Lyman or RCBS.

Just my opinion others may suggest different. Good luck, be safe and enjoy.
Had a looks at Kranks website. Everything there that I would need, but as you say I could pick up second-hand gear. money Is tight at the moment, but I will get there !. Thanks for your reply.

One thing that is possibly a big cost item for many:

Every reloader needs a dry, brightly lit private place in the home where they can install a bench and storage to carry out their work. It is not a hobby that can be done safely with the distractions of the family/kids/TV etc. Additionally every reloader needs to plan a place to safely stock primers and then the powders (elsewhere). I keep my primers in an MTM plastix ammo case - dry, secure but will not act like a bomb should all the primers detonate. My advice would be to keep reading the articles from others plus there are a decent amount of Youtube videos out there. As others have mentioned there are some people out there who are not qualified to instruct others.

One thing that is possibly a big cost item for many:

Every reloader needs a dry, brightly lit private place in the home where they can install a bench and storage to carry out their work. It is not a hobby that can be done safely with the distractions of the family/kids/TV etc. Additionally every reloader needs to plan a place to safely stock primers and then the powders (elsewhere). I keep my primers in an MTM plastix ammo case - dry, secure but will not act like a bomb should all the primers detonate. My advice would be to keep reading the articles from others plus there are a decent amount of Youtube videos out there. As others have mentioned there are some people out there who are not qualified to instruct others.
Thanks, for your reply. I have taken onboard what you're saying. Got scales, dies. Looking out for a press now.

Back